Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Weight on pegs

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Nug-Nugget, Jan 28, 2014.

1. I've just started playing around with putting more weight on the pegs and it does change the behavior of the bike quite a bit. How much weight should you put on the pegs? Are there different times you need more or less weight on the pegs, for instance when cornering? I find it helps with more weight on bumpy roads.

• Like Like x 1
  2. How much weight are you using? Surely it would have to be quite substantial
  3. Do 60km/h stand up on the pegs then lift one leg off the pegs so most your weight is on the other peg... the bike will just continue on its merry way in a straight line.

Any change in the behaviour of your bike was in your head or could be put down to better body position giving you better control over the bike.

Weight and mass are 2 very different things weight on pegs doesn't change centre of gravity, putting a tiny portion of your body weight on either peg will do nothing to counter the massive centrifugal forces or mass of your bike.

If you think you are at a point in your riding where you can improve beyond the basics go get some professional instruction.
  4. Knee pressure on the tank will influence the bikes behaviour much more than weight on the pegs. That being said, I do transfer weight onto the inside peg when cornering. Not heaps, but enough that I notice that I am doing it.
  5. #5 Nug-Nugget, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    I usually ride with very little weight on the pegs, I just wrap my knees around the tank, loose arms. The other night I tried pushing down on the pegs on a bumpy road and it seemed to smooth out the bumps and shakes a bit, and I thought it felt a bit more stable.

I think I read somewhere here when cornering you should put weight on the pegs with the balls of your feet or something like that , but I could be mistaken.

If it makes little difference I will stop playing around with it.
  6. What part of your feet are you resting on the footpegs?
  7. Good dirt bike riders know everything there is know about weighting pegs, but it doesn't have as much effect on hardtop. There's nothing wrong with experimenting for yourself and making your own judgement. If it works for you, use it.

Using the ball (front) of your foot just makes body position easier.
  8. Weight on the pegs lowers the bikes centre of gravity, on a rough surface sending your weight down low helps the bikes stability I believe but it might just be me.

The other factor is perhaps you where using your legs to absorb some of the bumps, helping the bikes suspension out trail riding style?
  9. The biggest difference between the influence of body weight on the pegs of a dirt bike versus a road bike is peg placement relative to axle position. On a dirt bike, pegs are generally placed at (minimum) or above axle height. On a road bike, pegs are generally placed below axle height.

This is an important differentiation.

As we all know, the gyroscopic effect of wheels on bike stability is huge. The leverage effect of peg placement relative to axle position places a huge influence on the effect weight transition can have on the gyroscopic influence of the wheel.
    • Informative Informative x 1

10. Yes, but you are forgetting the other plane of movement, perpendicular to the one you are talking about. Raising the centre of gravity will affect this, and if the bumps are harsh enough, the suspension will have a higher workload. Eg. Imagine a pole attached your head with a bowling ball at the top, compared to you holding it too your chest.
  11. No, not forgetting it mate - just referring to one particular aspect. Otherwise if one were to try and discuss every aspect of weight distribution on a bikes handling, it would turn into a multi-page dissertation.

In the end, I don't pretend to know everything about bikes. I only know what I've gleaned in ~40 years of riding, and also some of the bad habits I know I've picked up but can't seem to shake....

It's a good discussion though, and if kept both realistic enough and at a high enough level, might even prove useful to some people :)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. It may not be the actual weighting but more the body movement needed to weight the peg that makes the difference. Something more subtle like sliding the inside knee forward a few inches can also help.
    The bikes reaction also depends on when you do the weighting!
  13. Between the heel and the balls (of my feet).

That did occur to me but I'll have to try it a few times to be sure.

I thought this topic might have been basics of riding I might have overlooked but it seems it's more complex.
  14. The instep of your foot (midway along its length) is the worst place to position your foot on the peg. Either immediately in front of your heel, or ball of your foot depending on circs.
  15. Interesting. I know for a fact that putting weight on my floorboards works similarly to pushing on the bars, eg. it causes the bike to lean which results in steering. Thinking back to moto-x days, it's not dissimilar, you push down on a given peg to push the arse of the bike down in the opposite direction and get more lean. Surprised to hear someone say it makes no difference, because it sure as hell does unless you compensate with opposite pressure on the bars.
  16. #17 Nug-Nugget, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    Sorry, that's what I meant - in front of the heel. So the heel of my boot just drops off the peg.

I'm going to see how it feels to use the balls of my feet tonight.
  17. LOL
  18. I stand up on the pegs for bumpy roads, otherwise when I am cornering I push on the handlebars, my feet are just resting on the pegs. :)
  19. That's funny. I HATE it near my heels and I will put it at the instep so I can still use the controls and then go to the balls of my feet when cruising or otherwise required. I got sick of dragging boots everywhere.