Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Weight Gain Thread

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by b12mick, Jul 3, 2014.

1. So I lost a heap of weight and no I feel I've lost too much and need to put some back on.

Forgetting junk food, suggestions please.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Weight gain/loss is simply energy in vs energy out, so if you're consuming more than you're burning then you'll gain weight. Larger portions could achieve this or maybe adding more carbohydrates into your diet? Add rice to a meal or eat pasta more regularly?
  3. If all you want to do is nudge the scales, just eat more as already mentioned.
    If you want to put on more muscle mass than fat, lift heavy, lift regularly (at least three times a week), use compound lifts (moving through two or more joints) in preference to isolation exercises (like arm curls or leg extensions) and get plenty of sleep. Everything else is minutiae.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Get a hooker for the weekend and forget about it Mick.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dead lifts, cut unnecessary aerobic exercise and drink heaps of flavored milk. Enjoy.
  6. There I was, thinking this was going to be a thread where I could brag about getting fat... Poop! :(
  7. I'll be chopping and changing thru the two threads as my weight goes up and down :)
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. You need to build muscle mass - so off to the weights room with you.

You still need to eat smart, coz you don't want to lay down fat, you want to feed muscle development.

FWIW, why do you think you've lost too much? What is your height, current weight and waist circumference?
  9. Stout.

Coopers or better still Southwark, if you can get it.
  10. Love deadlifts. Deads are awesome mass builders! Also handy for building up strength useful for picking up bikes in awkward situations.
  11. 15-20 cops off coffee a day.
  12. I like the 15-20 cops off coffee a day, with 2 sugars in each.

mmmm they were the days.

I am eating more - still healthy(ish) the weights thing may be an issue I can neither afford to go to a gym or buy a set of weights. It may be time to go back to old school and push-ups, chin ups etc etc.
  13. Nothing wrong with ye olde school stuff. You'd be surprised what gear you can build yourself for next to nothing. One that's often used to good effect is sand bag training. All you need is a big arsed bag of sand and a yard to work out in. Here's some ideas: http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/5-week-sandbag-workout-program-week-1-get-started Old car tyres can be used for all sorts of things as well, including the core of a very effective punching "bag".
    If you're just trying to pad out slightly because your expensive riding gear doesn't fit, working out too hard might not be your best option as it will also change your body shape and put weight in different parts of your body, leaving your pants loose but filling out the shoulders of your shirt for example.
  14. Some lead ballast would be the quickest & easiest way.

Probably want to take it off in the summer months when you go swimming though...
  15. Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 5-lb potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax. Each day you’ll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato sacks. Then try 50-lb potato sacks and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute.

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the sacks.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I was going to ask what do I do with the potatoes.

Thanks for the ideas.