Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

weeping fork seal/sloppy front. rebuild time?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by TheForgotten, Oct 2, 2010.

1. easy question here, I found my front end bottoms out rather easily, noticed a weeping fork seal (despite supposedly having been done a few weeks before i bought the bike).
    is it a straight forward job: replace seals and add more fork oil, or is more involved?
    any special tools needed?

2. If the fork seals were done recently, and are leaking again, then you've got a bit of a problem.

Either the seal was damaged as it was being put in the first time, or the fork inner leg is damaged.

Can you see or feel any nicks or scratches on the inner legs? If they are damaged you'll need to replace or repair them when you change the seals, otherwise you'll be doing the job again soon.

If you can't see any damage to the forks, then the seal may have been installed incorrectly, in which case you can simply replace the seal and fork oil.

The job itself is straight forward but a little bit involved - there are a zillion tutorials floating around the net, perhaps even one for your bike in particular. There are a couple of special tools that are nice to have, but you might be able to improvise.