Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wednesdays Weighty Wisdom: Time

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by _joel_, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Never mind that it's thursday, I'm sure we will all have successful weekends regardless of my inability to know which day it is.
    Rob has been far too busy engineering petrochemical stuff, so I have taken it upon myself (we are petrochem cousins, you see) to provide you with a much anticipated weighty wisdom for this week.

We all have time, in equal amounts, and yet some people are able to successfully balance work, fun times, health and community.
    These people, typically, are involved heavily in community, they are successful in their career, and have fantastic family lives.
    What is it, that these people do, that the rest of us aren't?
    Maybe they have a greater understanding of how precious time is?

We all know that we have 168 hours each week, which is also equal to 86400 seconds.

How do you value time, and how do you think you fair in the balance stakes?
    How much of your precious time do you waste each day?
  2. If I ask you to define what is "wasting our time", here... on Netrider...

Will the universe implode?
  3. Try it and see, Chris...just let me know first, so I can hide under the bed.

Wasting time? Hmmm, no doubt everyone's definition of 'wasting time' varies.

Is there such a thing as wasted time? You are constantly doing something with your time; even sitting on Netrider :wink: can equate to knowledge gained, friendships made, experiences shared etc. You may not be doing something more valuable with your time, but it's not necessarily time wasted.

Wasted opportunities? Now that's another matter. I believe we owe it to ourselves, and those close to us, to not pass up opportunities that would benefit us.

Using family as an example - missing out on opportunities to spend time with family, creating memories for our kids and for ourselves because we are too busy spending our time on other things (that are probably not all that important in the overall scheme of things)...now, that's regretful.

Maybe that is the definition of 'time wasted'.
  4. If I use strong drugs, and stay awake for days, will this alter anything, or just my mind?
  5. Time does my head in when you really think about it:

6. I am one of those blokes who have a very succesful career, coach three local basketball teams [one is a rep team], attend my daughter's dance classes, take my wife on a date once a month, have a round of golf every 6 weeks or so, renovating a boat ATM, ride a bike about once a month, drive 120kms each day to and from work, some local acting etc etc! Wow and my 4 kids and wife still love me and hang out with me.

How do I do it? fcuked if I know, time is elastic the more we take on for the right reasons the more time I seem to create. The most unlikely people stand up and help out with things and the there is enough time to rest in the grave.

I also am very selfish and take time out for myself every day and read, or swim or veg. The trick IMO is to ask yourself "Is what I am doing now helping me achieve what I want to?". If it isn't, that's OK just ask the question. :grin:
  7. For the last six months or so, and for the first time in my working life, I am working normal rather than insane hours. Not only that, but I have a short commute.
    People who know this say to me, "you must be doing it easy now..."

But f$%^ me, I swear I have less time than I ever did before, and I'm buggered if I know where it goes. I've got a sneaking suspicion that people are stealing it from me, but I can't prove it. Always seem to be doing favours for people (the missus 'volunteers' me!) and I can tell you for sure that a 2YO's requirements expand to fill every available space.

'Course I could always get some back if I didn't waste it on stoopid internet forums... :p
  8. Pink Floyd said it best in 1973 (Time)

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
    You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
    Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
    Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain.
    You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
    Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

The time is gone, the song is over,
    Thought I'd something more to say.

Wayne - nerd who didn't have time to think up his own answer.
  9. Fuzzy nailed it.

Liz tells me how she feels guilty about 'wasting' time on the internet. So I ask what else she feels she didn't do because she was on the internet. It's normally 'reading a book'. So I ask what is different about reading a book and reading words on the internet? If it's Facebook, she's actively following the progress of her friends in WA and France. If it's her sister in Malta she's using MSN to make the kind of small talk you wouldn't pay money to a telco for. If it's checking out a movie she wants to see, it's saving time having to scan papers for times and dates....

So how is that wasting time?
  10. I am wasting time right now, waiting for "Rockwiz"
  11. Time is just a measurement. You can only fit x hours of activity into that day.
    Some people can organise themselves, some can't. Witness the ditzy stay home housewives who claim to be flat out all day and are always late to pick up thier kids. Poor time management.
    Or the tradies who are always late/ job not finished on time or don't turn up due to not booking out the correct hours. These tradies are the ones who go broke too, but that's another topic....
    If you treat time as a simple measurement and realise that you can/can't do something within that time, you must organise for things to happen in a schedule you will have found the secret to managing time.
    Anyone can do a lot in one day if they organise themselves properly. Some choose not to get organsied.
    As for "wasting time", I choose to schedule time for me to waste, it's called rest.
    As an example, I come home on a Friday night and get the washing done, plus a few household chores like vacuuming or mopping. I do this so I can have the entire weekend free of these things. It also frees up time for my fiance, who does something similar.
    I also choose not to work weekends as I believe it is my time to do with as I please. Sure it means less money, but money is not why I live. I live to enjoy my life and that means spending time doing what I want to do.

Regards, Andrew.
  12. Interesting analogy, but you see i've been 'investing' 2 years and will continue to 'invest' another 4 (or even 5) making sure i become a mining engineer and not a chef. Basically hope to make up the deficit in cash by the time im 28, maybe 30. But if i had 86 grand to make a day? jesus. I think Fuzzy said it best: 'even sitting on Netrider can equate to knowledge gained, friendships made, experiences shared etc.'

You know what? fcuk this, im going to work on my TS. I wanna have it done by my 21st in 3 months.