Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wednesdays Weighty #5A, The all encompassing question!

Discussion in 'Jokes and Humour' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, May 24, 2007.

1. Sooooo, yesterday's weighty didn't quite spark the imagination - although there were some valuable insightful contributions... (thankyou!)

So I thought I'd post a followup... but not just any followup, this is the big question, the ultimate question about life, the universe and everything... to which the answer is not 42...

"What if, the hokey pokey IS what it is all about?"

:-k

Discuss!

2. :arrow: then I think there's a 'limb' missing from the song that would otherwise contribute greatly to people's enjoyment of said 'life'.

3. ^^ :LOL: +1

if the hokey pokey is the answer to everything...then I've got my priorities all f*#ked up :shock:

Time to start practice \:D/

4. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Aaaaahahhaha...I lost it then.

I'm tired, it's not taking much to make me laugh.....shuddap :p

5. The meaning of life, bloody hell Rob couldn't pick something a little bit harder :roll: :LOL:

It's simple the meaning of life is there is no meaning.

Or I actually like Eric Idle's, he said "The meaning of life is a warm cup of tea and comfortable pants." I like comfortable pants. :LOL: Does there have to be a point for it to be meaningful? Isn't the journey the point?

Sorry what was the question? oh whats 6 x 7 = ?

6. Three votes go to Ktulu. Well played, well played. :LOL:

7. One word: Improvise! :LOL:

8. This is in the joke section, what does that tell you!?!

Life's a joke!!! :LOL:

9. Couple of quotes whilst I think about this one .......

10. Actually if you stop to think about it, the hokey pokey could be good simile / metaphor for life.

You put your <insert limb> in -------------------- > have an experience in life
    You put your <insert limb> out ------------------ > step away from the experience
    You put your <insert limb> in -------------------- > Have another go at the experience
    And you shake it all about ------------------------> Really get into it and try it on
    You do the hokey pokey ---------------------------> Reflect on the experience and it's outcomes/impacts
    and you turn yourself around --------------------> Assimilate the learnings / develop your character
    And that's what it's all about. ------------------- > A recipe for experiencing life and inspiring growth.

Repeat adinfinitum until death.

:shock:

Maybe this should be back in the off topics... it could get serious.

This one is messing with my mind!!!

11. Seems I'm gonna play the devils advocate on this one too ....

I think 'we' as humans spend far too much time/energy searching for a 'meaning' to life

12. The all encompassing question my friend can only be answered when the all encompassing question is stripped of the last vestige of vacuous truth.

Thus;

1. P ⇒ Q, where P is false.
    2. ∀ x, P(x) ⇒ Q(x), where it is the case that ∀ x, ¬ P(x).
    3. ∀ x ∈ A, Q(x), where the set A is empty.
    4. ∀ ξ, Q(ξ), where the symbol ξ is restricted to a type that has no representatives.

Simple really...try it on this; :wink:

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

(Lewis Carrol)

13. attempts to turn the hokey pokey into a simile/metaphor for life might be taking the whole thing a bit far :LOL:

Not recommended. Remember, if you shake it more than 2/3 times, you're just playing with yourself.
    :grin:

I like this one. It means that life does not have a meaning or purpose, thereby leaving endless possibilities for living.

Think about it: would you want to know, from birth, that the only meaning/purpose in life is to (insert # 42 here)? What, then, would be the point in doing/experiencing anything not directly related to that purpose?

One's quest to find meaning, through choices and experiences is what life is all about. Or, to put it more simply (again) ...life is a journey, not a destination.

14. • Homer: God, what's the meaning of life?
    • God: Homer, I can't tell you that.
    • Homer: Why not?
    • God: You'll find out when you die.
    • Homer: Oh, I can't wait that long.
    • God: You can't wait 6 months?
    • Homer: No, tell me now...
    • God: Oh, OK - The meaning of life is........

15. What wiki thinks

There are many theories and conjectures about the meaning of the words "Hokey Pokey", and of their origin. Some scholars attribute the origin to the Shaker song Hinkum-Booby which had similar lyrics and was published in Edward Deming Andrews' A gift to be simple in 1940: (p.42)

" A song rendered ("with appropriate gestures") by two Canterbury sisters while on a visit to Bridgewater, N.H. in 1857 starts thus:
    I put my right hand in,
    I put my right hand out,
    I give my right hand a shake, shake shake
    And I turn myself about.
    As the song continues, the "left hand" is put in, then the "right foot," then the "left foot," then "my whole head."
    ...Newell gave it the title, "Right Elbow In," and said that is was danced " deliberately and decorously...with slow rhythmical motion."

In the United States the term hokey pokey previously and separately was a generic term for street vendor's ice cream in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Other scholars have found similar dances and lyrics dating back to the 17th century. A very similar dance is cited in Robert Chambers' Popular Rhymes of Scotland from 1826.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary "hokey cokey" comes from "hocus pocus", the traditional magician's incantation which in its turn derives from a distortion of of hoc enim est corpus meum - "this is my body" - the words of consecration accompanying the elevation of the host at Eucharist, the point, at which according to traditional Catholic practice, transubstantiation takes place - mocked by Puritans and others as a form of "magic words". The Anglican Canon George Nairn-Briggs, Provost of Wakefield Cathedral, West Yorkshire, says that the dance as well comes from the Catholic Latin mass[1]. The priest would perform his movements with his back to the congregation, who could not hear well the Latin words nor see clearly his movements.

16. I know, but really, think about it... if it's not a metaphor for the meaning of life, it certainly is about the journey :shock:

Inci - you're about to get the Ktulu award for generating the most "where the f**k did you get that from?" responses. My head exploded for the 2nd time! Owwwch.

To my reckoning that would be the soul - the soul is the distinguishing feature. Not sure soul is the meaning of life?

Redline, if "hokey pokey" is really a bastardised incantation, then it makes my re-interpration even more spooky... :-k ??????

17. Quote from Peanuts
    As much as I admire Charlie Browns view on ones purpose in life - I actually think he is a little off target. Ultimately we are responsible for our own lives & how we live them. If making other people happy is our passion - great. Same goes for Lucy - laying the blame elsewheres for being unhappy doesn't gel either (maybe this should've been in the happiness thread)

I guess what I'm leading into is the meaning to life is different things to different people.

18. It could be interpreted as:

The Origin of Life
    The Nature of Life
    The Value of Life
    The Significance of Life
    The Purpose of Ones Life

The latter 2 possibly being of more relevance here.

Personally - the meaning is whatever meaning/purpose you care to assign to it... or none at all. If you have a religion or spiritual belief you could find meaning there; a particular philosophy, etc, etc. If you're a nihilist, you might conclude that there IS no meaning at all. A humanist would say we each make our own meaning by the way we live ie: "Life is what you make it"

19. Melbourne school of philosophy (which is part of the London school of philosophy) teaches that service to others, and meeting the needs of others, is one of the paths that reinforces being an instrument of the now... which is where all spiritual growth ultimately is done... so maybe peanuts was half the way there??

Perhaps the meaning of life is to find out what life means to you and what part your meant to play in this play called life??? :-k

I'm still flipping over the metaphor thing... ! LOL

20. I am not underestimating the importance of helping others - this is an integral part of the symbiotic web of life.

That's a pretty hard-line approach - but does simplify the reason for life!

Humans are the only living creature that seem to need to search for meaning/purpose, rather than just 'get on with the job' of living.