Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Weaving does NOT warm up your tyres

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Ktulu, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Shamelessly copied from another forum:

Interesting. I've only ever done it to test out a bike's handling - not because I thought it DIDN'T put heat in the tyres, just that I don't believe I ride hard enough on public roads for that little bit of warmth to make the difference between grip and crash.

Turns out I may as well just park in the sun and go for a fang :)

2. And does parking in the sun scrub in the new slick you just had fitted at all?

There are other reasons than heat......
  3. +1. Like cleaning crap off the edges (from gutters driveways etc.) before finding out it's there, mid-corner.
  4. Interesting & informative article klutu ..
  5. So what? It's fun, like a lot of useless things.

6. Sack who ever is fitting those tyres for you.

The tyre man at all my race meets makes sure the tyres do not require any 'scrubbing'.
  7. I thought the friction would at least warm the surface of the tyre pre-fanging.... I'm not talking about track or pansy warmers here... just riding... :p
  8. i am with you on this....normally before hitting my fav set of twisties i will go for a quick, weave i find normally helps, but maybe it's just helps get me into the swing of the bike leaning, sudden change of directions, well either way i will continue to do so, because at some level it's seems to help offer up confidence of how much grip i have, before i start tipping it in at speed :)
  9. Always good to see myths busted with some science.

Even if some people are still unable to let go of them...
  10. The test is far from conclusive with their simplistic testing methodology, not to mention the lack of a proper control.
  11. Great post Ktoolz.
  12. I do it to clean the gravel, grass, mud and other crap off my tyres.
    Plus it make me look way cooler than I am. :LOL:
  13. +1 for weaving being ridiculous. It will never die though.
  14. Hey guys, I was actually thinking of posting something about this myself. I hadn't seen the article - but I wanted to dispell the misconception. To warm up rubber, you need it to stretch and flex. Therefore the best way to warm up rubber for the average joe is to make it flex - and unless you have an entire track to do a warm up lap over, the only other way is through throttle and hard braking.

A quick google search came up with this layman's explanation:

15. Thanks for the post. Over the years I often thought about weaving, for sure I do it to clean the tyres if I have ventured off the racing line during my warm-up lap, also if get off the track during a race.

I think if the tyres have been warmed by tyre warmers, contact at low speed on cold bitumen, I guess, would draw some of the warmth out maybe?

cejay, I don't think what ever a tyre fitter can do to a tyre is as good as it being roughed-up in a corner. Everytime I have gone out on new tyres (even off warmers), they have never felt right until after the first left & right. For sure a wipe with acetone helps but I just don't think it is quite enough.

I think with most modern sports road tyres, they all require a minimum of a firm left then right corner, after touring for a bit before maximum corner speed should be attempted.

I guess all this 'weaving' issue comes from Formula 1, I imagine that they can apply cornering type forces to generate heat in a tyre from aggressive weaving?
  16. Have been telling people this for ages. Flex is what warms rubber up, not abrasion against the road surface. You can still weave to get your steering groove on though :p
  17. Wouldn't aggressive weaving cause some heat generating tyre distortion?
  18. Agree, but I think we're talking about weaving, not tipping in gently for the first couple of corners. The best way of warming a tyre up (as I've been told by others I trust) is to sit it on warmers for an hour, then, as you are called, take them off and go on your out lap. Ride the bike more or less as you would, a bit gentler, but not slow. Aim to get back to the grid with the main body of riders and hope the starter has their act together.

I almost took a guy out who was late out of the pits on a practice lap when he thought that weaving from side to side was a great thing to do in T3 @ PI. I was already on a hot lap and was just a bit surprised to see him moving left and right at 150kmh slower than I was going.

As for road riders trying to warm a road tyre up by weaving on the road, I don't think that works at all. Aside from a check to ensure that everything is moving as you expect (like a pilot checking L/R rudder), a few metres of weaving on the road won't do bugger all. Especially as most road rubber has a very wide operating temperature and gives useful grip from low down in the range.

The absolute worst tyres for residue release compound and the BT002 (Street) that I am using on the Aprilia. Take forever (200kms +)to clean up and require real caution.
  19. I remember watching one of the V8 Supercar races not so long ago, and the commentators were discussing the same topic.

As it turns out, a number of the teams have done the same testing, and found that no additional heat is generated by swerving, whereas rapid acceleration/braking cycles do generate heat in the tyres.

I can see the point in cleaning debris off the tyres though...so maybe not completely pointless..?
  20. Where are the PICTURES!!!!!!