Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Weather Permitting....

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ResmeN, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Or If The Weather Permits....

Though I understand these two statements in one way or another why do people feel obliged to get permission from the weather? Can't you decide if you are going to ride or not without consulting the weather. Okay you've looked at the weather and forecast is rain so dress appropriately and ride.

I have ridden in dry, hot, windy & rainy conditions and they all have their pros and cons. I enjoy riding in all of these conditions and wouldn't pick one over the other. Did the great ocean road 500kms when it was completely dry and when it was pouring rain, both were just as enjoyable as each other.

In hot weather unless you're in motion you are hot.
    In cold weather you can wear appropriate clothing and keep warm while riding.
    In windy weather you need to loosen up and not be tense to adjust to the conditions.
    In wet weather as long as you are geared up properly with waterproof clothing then there is no issue. Also avoid braking on painted lines, tram tracks and arrows on the road.

By people being picky and choosy in which weather they ride in how will they become an allround rider that can adapt to any condition mother nature throws at them?

Having only 2 wheels we need all the experience we can gain and frankly deciding not to ride when it's windy or rainy is lame....

edit: no I don't consider myself self righteous or anything like that : )
  2. Generally I agree but that statement does not hold true when you are talking about riding many of the "fun" roads in bad conditions. In the wet, creeks up landslides unsealed roads all have huge hairy knobs on and are not good at all for the novice. I guess what I am saying is- caution is the better part of valor, sometimes.
  3. Gusting wind and rain will stop me from taking a ride just for the fun of it.I have ridden in all sorts of weather.I find I dont smile as much in the windy rain,but if it develops that way I'll still ride in it to and from work.
    My good wife will offer the car but I'd rather take the bike than have 4 wheels and seats sitting unused at work.
    I agree, confront the weather and you build up a skillset that will see you on two wheels for a lifestyle, rather than a weekend escape machine pilot.
  4. I'll ride in any weather and have done for a long time now. I won't necessarily enjoy it much though.

I'm yet to find gear that will keep serious cold at bay for long periods, though that's not so much of an issue now I live in Australia. I'm also yet to find anything, whether gear or technique, that will give me visibility I'm happy with in heavy rain in the dark with oncoming headlamps. Oh yeah,and thick fog scares the hell out of me but I don't see much of that these days either.

But on the other hand I can't think of many rides that have been wholly negative experiences due solely to the weather.

I've been to a few rallies that were meteorologically interesting though. It's always fun to wake up in the grey dawn to find that your tent is pitched in the bed of a brand new river, only to peer out and discover that the attractive grassy field of the evening before is now a mass of mud of a type not usually seen outside WW1 Flanders, complete with stumbling, hollow eyed figures and the remains of discarded machinery poking out of the morass. Or helping some unfortunate retrieve his tent from 15 metres up in a tree where the wind has deposited it :D.
  5. I'm always keen to go out regardless of the weather, but hubby looks at the BOM radar and sees a raincloud somewhere on our route and the ride is then off. Very sad, especially when I hear bikes rumbling past, so I do small local trips to the shop or whatever by myself, just to get on and ride in all kinds of weather, I just love it. Also love the hot shower after a ride in the rain, and sitting under a blanket with a hot water bottle to warm up, one of the pleasures of life, methinks.
  6. I know this is more a thread about riding in all conditions, but I just wanted to say something on this point.

I saw no less than 4 riders today, in the space of about 2ks, who were wearing shorts and a tshirt. I may be a noob when it comes to riding, but I just don't understand how people ride without any gear at all.

Sorry for the short rant, but it just bothered me.
  7. i got no issues riding in the rain on my own, but when i have a group ride organised i always put weather permitting, i dont know what the others ride like so i would rather not take the risk in the rain
  8. I hear what you're saying ResmeN.

I am a novice rider but I commute to and from work on the bike and do not allow myself any choice in the matter.

I am sure this has had a positive effect on my riding. I am still prone to acts of uncoordination and 'brain fades' but I have no doubt I would have even less finesse if I only rode recreationally.

9. I just prefer dry conditions. Sure, I'll ride in the wet if i have to but normally i have a choice of bike or car. That's it.
  10. Do a search on "squid" and you shall be educated. Oh yes, indeed you will :twisted:.
  11. Yes caution is the better part of valor. You just need to be prepared and have the right attitude and will be able to overcome anything. I guess some of the fun roads can be done when dry.

Agreed and in the area in bold you have basically defined what true motorcycling and riding is all about. True motorcycling is done as part of a lifestyle not to get to the shops, or to ride like a squid or anything.

This also then opens another can of worms which then separates "riders" in to groups such as:

1. Those who ride as a lifestyle
    2. Those who are weekend warriors
    3. Those who commute
    4. There is probably more..
    If a persons sole mode of transport is a bike then it doesn't matter if there's a storm out there regardless they will hop on their bike and get to their destination.

I also have a car but 99% of the time will take the bike regardless of what clouds are coming from where.

Well said PatB. My main issue in riding is also poor visibility in the circumstances you mentioned and hope they don't bite us in the ass one day.
  12. ametha elf: I think in that case you need to take the reins in your hand and dictate the terms : ) Love having a shower after a wet ride too.

As PatB said they are referred to as squids. You wait till summer kicks in to it's full swing then they all come out in force. On my last trip to Gold Coast I was shocked to see the number of riders (guys/girls) on bikes/scooters wearing nothing but thongs on their feet, short and a singlet.

goz: Agreed when you are riding in a group and rain is forecast then unless you are aware of the riders skill level better not to.

KLR Nirvana: I'm sure it has had a positive effect on your riding as I also took a similar approach. The only way of keeping our skills up to scratch is to do exactly that and get out and ride in all conditions.

chiefy: Agree with that too, everybody is different.

13. Oh no! Squids!

Why does it bother you?

Why does it concern you?

Were you even riding at the time?

You admit you are a noob.

You admit you do not understand why they do it.

Why comment at all?

**** squid-whinging irritates me as much as non-riders who comment about how they don't understand why someone would ride... it is dangerous after all!
  14. If I am leading a ride I would definately say weather permitting as it is more likely for someone to crash in the wet I want to reduce the chances of it happening.

If I am riding by myself its whatever.
  15. Riding on straights roads is all dandy, or riding on the great ocean road would be fine in the wet.

Come to Brisbane and ride up our mountains when its wet... not something thats a bunch of fun. TONNES of wet leaves on the floor, trees and branches fall onto the road, sticks and gravel, slippery surfaces, very slow cars, etc....

edit: I've been on 3 netrider rides (250km+)... On every ride there has been at least one person that has crashed/been involved in an accident (and these days weren't necessarily wet). I can clearly see why people say 'depending on the weather'
  16. sparz, you wouldnt be talking about Mt Glorious, would you??. I used to ride through there in the wet but that road is so slippery in places. I can understand why people come off. We drove through there a few weeks ago in the rain on a Sunday, I think we saw 5 bikes in total on the mountain, I dont think they would have been having much fun. Seems like most people have decided its not a good idea after riding it once or twice. In the dry, you just cant get better than there though.
  17. sparz in extreme circumstances as you mention it is understandable if you were inclined not to ride but then despite all the stuff on the roads if you only had a bike and had to go somewhere then you'd adapt to the conditions take it easy and ride it.

As for those crash/accidents unfortunately the same happens in VIC too but I think before learners/new riders start attending on big netrider group rides they need to do lots of practice sessions and familiarise themselves with their bikes and the road, ride in different conditions and only then should they attend group rides for nastys not to happen. Nastys still will happen but at least that way they should be minimal and the rider would be better prepared to tackle the situation.
  18. I generally ride for enjoyment. I don't find riding in the rain enjoying so I don't do it.

I get sick of people saying 'Oh you're not a true motorcyclist if you don't ride in rain/snow/hail etc.' It really shits me. I've ridden in many weather conditions and personally don't find rain riding to be enjoyable at all. If its a light shower that's okay but when it's so bad that when you put your foot down at the lights and the water is flowing up to your ankle it tends to ruin the fun. You're a motorcyclist if you ride in nothing, full gear, half face helmet, on a cruiser, scooter, naked, supersports. It doesn't matter as long as you are on two wheels.

There is no 'true' motorcyclist because someone will always be more hardcore than you (guy I know in Canada rides his BMW in -30 degree cold in Winter). Differentiating between 'types' of motorcyclists it just elitist crap!
  19. Respect.
    I gotta get to work so I'd be out there weekdays, P-plate noobie or not.
    Sometimes it's uncomfortable and there are moments where you couldn't get a credit card between my butt-cheeks, but I still enjoy the riding.
    Love the riding...
  20. Agree with what you have said and don't think anybody has the right to call one another true or elite motorcyclist as you mentioned we are all on two wheels and that is all that matters.

On the flip side I know some friends and other people that if there is a bit of wind or a few droplets of rain etc no way in hell would they ever I mean ever ride their bikes. I think it's fair to say people like these regardless of true or elite riders or not are "fair weather riders".

My view is that people like these pose a greater risk on roads as they don't have enough riding experience and are very picky and choosy when to ride. Then when they do ride their skills are rusty due to taking a long time between drinks for their next ride.