Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

wearing or rubbing noise

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by calgarychris, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Hi,

I've noticed a bit of a rubbing noise while riding at low speed (< 40kph) and was wondering if anyone might have an idea? It doesn't always happen, but when it does it's a fairly constant noise and sounds like the brakes are being applied lightly. I am careful to keep my foot off the rear brake and have gone so far as to flare my feet off the bike completely, as well as feather the front brake a bit to see if it was sticking...Do brakes stick? Is there a noise when brake pads are worn?

I have noticed that when I actually apply the brakes, they make a bit of noise - I plan to bring the bike in to get it checked over but thought I might learn something in the meantime. Besides needing to build up enough confidence to ride during daylight hours in traffic to get to the shop! :p

Sorry for the noob question - I'm very new. The bike (CB400) has done 10,300km (<100 with me!) and seems to be in very good nick.

2. If it's the brakes you're hearing, that's normal. You only hear it at low speed cos that's when the rubbing sound can be discerned ie. from loud exhaust or other surrounding noises.

Put yr bike on centre or paddock stand, then rotate the Fr/Rr wheels, you should be able to hear the slight rubbing sound as the pads lightly rub against the brake discs.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sorry for not getting back to you - thanks - I think you're correct, as I've read a number of people commenting about the CB400 and a slight brake noise. My brakes also squeak a bit, but I'll get that looked into shortly.