Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wearing in new tyres

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by demuire, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Okay, I'm due for a new rear tyre soon. I've heard that new tyres are slippery, and I should therefore be careful, and "wear in" the tyre first. A few questions:

1) How long does it take to wear in? Like, are we talking a ride around the block? A week of riding?

2) How do you wear in the edges (if the tyre is slippery, surely you don't want to go around corners fast? Do you just do lots of flip flops like when you're warming a tyre up?

3) Am I making too big a deal about this? :)
  2. About 150 Kms to scrub in your tyre, according to the guy at BOB JANES.
    I rode nearly 300k's...admittedly over half was on a freeway, and I still didn't think it was scrubbed in right. I got a bit of steel wool and just rubbed the shiney coating off the rest of my tyre, perfect!
  3. you also have to be weary of your ability to turn!
    It has to be done progressively. Ride slower than what you usually would, and dont lean as hard.
  4. Just ride like you would normally but a bit slower and more wary that the rear will be slippery a bit on the edges... Also don't get to hard on the rear brake :shock: or you mind find it will lock up easier than normal...

A new tyre has a sheen all over it and you'll know to look at it where the bits are that haven't been scrubbed in enough...
    About 100-150k's of normal riding should see it pretty right. I just went through the same thing.

as the bloke at the shop said "New tyres are slippery... be careful"
  5. Yep, new tyres have a silicone mould release/preservative oil on them.
    If you wanted to be really anal, you could use wax and grease remover and Scotch Brite to remove that, but you would still have a super smooth rubber surface.
    Even on cars it can be fun, especially in the wet!

Regards, Andrew.
  6. As has been mentioned, wear them in progeessivily. Increase your amount of lean over a period of time, so that obviously the middle of the tyre will scrub in first. Then when you lean a little you will be using a little of the new shiny tyre and a bit of the scrubbed in bit. Eventually teh shiny bits will slowly scrub in and then you can lean a little further to use existing scrubbed bit and a little of teh new shiny stuff. It is hard to give it an amount of kms as if it is all freeway riding then the middle will be scrubbed, but the edges will be VERY shiny. That being said a general rule is it should take about 100-150 kms or mixed riding to roughly scrub them in. A few things to note though is firstly, until scrubbed in, dont ride in the wet period! Make sure the roads are dry when getting the tyres fitted and only ride in dry weather until they are well scrubbed. Many accidents happen on fresh tyres at roundabouts as the middle of the tyre scrubs and then they go around a round about and go fully onto the shiny side bit and go arse up. Wear the sides in gradually. Thirdly, give extra braking distance for the first 50 kms so as to avoid having to use teh brakes too harshly when the centre of the tyre is still fresh. For me I use a particular road which has mixed riding. I know if it is dry and I follow the speed limit, by the time I reach my destination the tyres are scrubbed. Hope teh info helps. Cheers
  7. I got new tyres the other week. Michelin pilot powers. Rode gorge road nice and slow from one end to the other, gradually tipping her in a little more each time. Had a peek at the tyres at the other end and they were looking pretty good, so turned the pace up a little and went back the oter way. By the time I got back out the other side, they were feeling pretty good.

Just remember like everyone else has said, they ARE slippery, but if you take it easy for a while, you won't have any issues. Good luck
  8. Thanks for the replies :) Most of my riding is commuting, and my commute is 80% highway, 15% town, and 5% roundabouts! So it looks like I'll be going around those roundabouts *real* slow...

Should be fun...
  9. This might sound Crude and expensive and defeats the purpose of new tyres!
    I give my New Tyres a light sanding with sandpaper to break the surface!

The wax\oil\tyre sealant is still there so be careful riding on wet and slipery surfaces!

10. ACETONE....

Go and grab some from either a paint supply store or your hardware store. Get an old towel and some kitchen gloves while you r rummaging around at home.

Put you bike on center stand and in neutral so you can spin the back tyre... or if you dont have it it realy doesnt matter you just have to lean the bike on the side stand and spin the tyre..

put you gloves on "wet" the rag and rub the tyre, straght away the releaseing agen should come spalling off with a little rubbing your ture should turn from glossy black to matt grey black.

Keep going around the tyre till you have all the compound off... pack up and go for a quick ride to bed in the new virgin rubber and bobs you mothers brother.

a quick word on people who say it ruins the compund of the tyre after 6 tyres I havent had any crows feet, cracking or advers side effects of acetone rubbing teh release agent off tyres... tho my brother the industrial chemist now says I may have a higer chance of liver cancer but nothing a week of painting wound't have done anyway...
  11. hi ward_4e
    ACETONE.... ??
    doesnt it have adverse affects with polymers and elastamers?

Don't mean to knock your method but just querious!
    You would want to contact the tyre manufacture or supplier for more info on this procedure.
  12. michelin state explicitly that they do not use release agents on bike tyres.

that said, all you have to do is make the tyre touch the ground and that part of the tyre is run-in. Just don't try to rub a completely new bit on the ground - ie gradually buildup lean angles.

track tyres are run in after a lap ffs.

13. yeah when I first hear of the acetone sanding method I was more than a bit wary as tyres arent cheap... But after being told by four different sources and research online Plus sitting down and discussing what happens with a process / analytical chemist... god family / brother - nerds are handy...

We came to the conclusion that rubbing the tyre is hardly an invasive abrasive process... your not wire brussing the acetone in... so it cant bind with the rubber chem chains deep in the tyre and affect the overall life of the internal strucure of the tyre... and by deep more than 1mm at worst case holding the wet rag in one spot for longer than 30secs... bloody scientist brother...

The first layer of polymer chains are reactivated and simply spalls off taking the slick with it. This slick is most probably releasing agent and or a protective fill stopping the tyre compound from off gassing and cooking off / going hard while storeage.

And on trusting manufactures reps who blow smoke up you ass to sell things to you... I'd rather trust a person who has completed one degree in geo-chem and analytical chemistry and is being paid to work on a PHD in polymers and elastamers... he is still a nerd... still plays moria on his lap top... :LOL:
  14. I just head straight for the twisties and do some smooth riding. All scrubbed in when done.
  15. I've got a bit of a quirky way of bedding in tyres but it seems to work well.

1. Get some heat into them by heading down the freeway for 10-15 minutes, this will easily scrub the middle in.
    2. Head straight to a car park and start doing slow circles, gradually speeding up and increasing your lean angle. (repeat process in other direction... duh!)
    3. Head to your favourite local twistys and take the first lap slowly, second lap a little quicker, and third lap at almost normal pace.

By the time you've done that you should have easily gotten to the edges of the tyre (or as far as you normally get to), and the tyre will be scrubbed in. If your pussy footing around it'll take 200km's to bed it in, if your doing it properly i'd say your done by 50km's. My new M3 took about 40km's to scrub in; which was about 3 heat cycles and a couple of laps of the Yarra Bouley.
  16. I also subscribe to this method
  17. You can wipe the tyres down with an acetone daubbed rag to speed up the process, or

...take it easy for the first 50-100kms, limiting all harsh inputs [accelaration, braking or steering] - more so if new front tyre.

After 10-20kms, start GENTLE countersteer weaves to widen the wear area. In the 50-100km travelled ball park, gradually increase speed and lean angle in corners. On hot dry days, you could do the whole process in 20km...

Brouggy's point of view:
  18. P.S. Not only is scrubbing in required to remove the release agent, it also helps bed tyres down into the rim.... hence limiting initial inputs...
  19. Thats what I do! I wouldn't go wiping any chemicals on a new tyre! If your in Brisbane, a few laps around Mt Cootha will do it. Just start slow and lean a bit more each time. I've never had a problem with this method.

Be real careful if the road is wet - there really slippery then!
  20. Acetone... used by racers. The road, as used by mere mortals.