Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wear & tear on sprockets

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by KumuduG, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Hi Guys

This happened to one of my bikes couple of years ago and thought of getting your views before I do the same to my new bike.

So it was a brand new Honda and around 8k it started slipping the chain. When I checked why the front sprocket teeth was badly worn out. The chain was looking pretty good and it looked like the chain cold do another 8k. There was no over wear on the rear sprocket either.

My suspicion was that this was caused by engine breaking. I do use excessive amounts of engine breaking and I thought this could have caused the issue. I don't use engine breaking any more to that level.

What are your guys thoughts?
  2. honestly I don't know, where you continually giving it a whacking, whilst the chain was a bit loose?
  3. Ok, firstly, a chain will always look good so long as it's lubed. Two things indicate a shagged chain. Firstly the amount of adjusment needed and secondly the amount of sidways movement (need to take it off to do this).

Secondly, there is no rule that says a chain should wear before a sprocket. In fact front sprockets can easily be the same life as the chai, with the rear typically being twice.

Thirdly, the fact that it slipped suggest you didn't keep the adjustment up to it. Or did it suddenly strip the teeth?

Fourthly, which Honda? Some of the cheaper Hondas are pretty much the shittiest bikes on the market these days. Pressure from cheaper rivals has meant a drop in standards on all japanese vehicles at the cheaper end of the scale.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Thanks for the reply. So to answer your questions

I kept the chain properly adjusted with the correct slack etc. This happened when the chain wear marker was just past the middle point. And I did keep the chain constantly oiled.
    The bike was a CBR150R which was made in Thailand so maybe you are spot on about the quality aspect.

When adjusting the chain I was always trying to keep the proper slack but was leaning towards more slack than too tight so maybe I kept it too loose and that caused this.

Anyway thanks again. Your reply has shed a lot of light to why it happened. I will try my best not to do the same to my new machine.
  5. Apart from the good suggestions above, if the engine is misaligned in the frame (or wheel alignment out) you could experience accelerated wear. It would be more evident on the front sprocket because of its small size. I doubt that engine braking would have much bearing on sprocket wear because the force is only against engine compression.

You probably already know this, but a worn chain on new sprockets will chop them out quickly.
  6. Yep the cbr150 was pretty much what I had in mind when I made those quality remarks. these bikes are designed and made for the Asian market where stepthoughs are standard and scooters are lah-de-dah.

A cheap aftermaket front sprocket will likely be better quality than the original.
  7. Actually, good point. Or the swingarm is not aligned properly.

the ideal would be to get a straight edge between the two sprocket, but you probably can't do that with the frame in the way.

Still betting on cheap sprocker, however, but it's worth trying to get a feel on alignment.

If it is misaligned and the bike is still under warranty, then take it back.
  8. Good point. Thanks. Ya I replaced the sprockets and the chain.
  9. Thanks for the suggestion. This happened a couple of years back and when I was back in "Sri Lanka". I changed the chain and the sprockets after this and only did a couple of hundred miles on it. My parents finally got sick of it sitting in the driveway [ I think it was more about not liking me back on it when I'm back home on holidays ] so I had to get rid of it.

The reason I asked the question was so that I understand why it happened and so I will not do it to my MT09.

Thanks for for your detailed explanations. Really helped me to understand the situation.
  10. MY09 should be put together better than the cbr150.
  11. Yeh but how well was your chain lubricated?
  12. I like to get my chain lubricated as often as possible.
  13. lol

Are you channelling your inner Benny Hill? lol
  14. My Benny Hill is out and proud.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. You can certainly get a varying quality of sprockets and chains.
    If the metals aren't hardened properly or use cheap metals they will wear in a few thousand km.

Had a friend burnt like this after ordering a kit off ebay, the chain just stretched to the end of the adjuster in 4k of commuting with the sprockets looking very toothy. Replaced with a quality set and its upto 20k with no major wear.
  16. Chains? Sprockets?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. they are devices for saving the money normally spent on replacing shafts, with the added benefit of loosing less power.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. If the wheel/chain is out of alignment, there will usually be wear marks from the chain plates on one side of the (front) sprocket. May be inside or out side, but something to check when you pull it off.
  19. I've got 24K on my chain and sprocket set. If I don't get double that before I'm considering replacing the set, I would be concerned and I would be happy to get triple that, and believe I probably will.
  20. #20 robsalvv, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    Man after my own heart. lol

Relatively speaking, I've abused the chain I have now. It has not been kept as clean and as lubricated as I have been infamous for and after 30K km it's just starting to show a couple of tight spots. Look after them and they look after you.