Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

We need a good 'Cornering' Article

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by VCM, Apr 16, 2008.

1. YES

2. NO

0 vote(s)
  3. Don't give a shit

0 vote(s)
  1. I've been riding around 10 mths now, a daily commuter clocking up around 1000km a month, with the occasional lesiure ride ( I do need to get out more and 'ride' for me, I know).
    I consider myself a fairly competent 'commuter', I am very comfortable in traffic. HOWEVER, as most of You already know, I suck at cornering. Well I am improving, and I have had an offer to assist me in this deficiency, but it's been hard trying to find a mutually acceptable time, with family commitments etc.
    Anyway, I was looking over the articles here when it occurred to me that there is not ONE article on probably the most important aspect of riding .. 'CORNERING'.
    I know there is a shitload of info on it from many sources on the net, but I 'trust' my NR friends, thy haven't failed me yet, and would much rather read their 'take' on the subject. I tried doing a search .. but it comes up with all sorts of shit. ( Can't wait for the new software .. I hope it has a title search ..) No Vic, I aint having a go, I know it takes time :p .

What are Your thoughts ??? Do You think it would be a good idea to have a NR member do an article on cornering? or should I just shut the fcuk up and get out there :?

MODS: not sure where I should've posted this as it would assist new riders, but perhaps should be in site discussions??
    Could You Please move If I messed up.
  2. there are countless articles on cornering if you use

Keith code etc.
    I would never rely on advice on cornering in here.
  3. Ten months riding and your comfortable in traffic???
    Don't get too comfy, thats when they'll get ya. :wink:
  4. Take a day at a track school. That way you will know you are learning the 'right way'.
  5. Agree 100% with smee and saj.

Too many different opinions on this forum for such a topic. And yes, take care, this is the danger time for you.
  6. A good tip is : "Look where you want to go".
  7. I'm the opposite. I find traffic more scary/challenging! Mainly because I have never really ridden in the thick of it as I live in a rural area.
  8. Sorry smee.
  9. Guys keep your advice to yourselves as all you do is add to the confusion.
    You all have differing opinions and not all of them are accurate.
  10. VCM Keith Codes book 'a twist of the wrist' is a good read and has helped countless riders. Also check out the cornering forum at http://www.superbikeschool.com/. There are also options like the advanced cornering and braking course offered by H.A.R.T at www.hartridertraining.com.au or Stay Upright at www.stayupright.com.au/cornering_braking.htm

A very good way of learning is to follow an experienced rider. Ask someone you know with experience if they would ride at your pace and watch there body position, lines etc.

Asking a question as you have will raise alot of different opinions and I would much rather trust those of an experienced instructor.

Like other things motorcycling it all comes down to practice.

P.S. There are plenty of very good articles in regards to cornering written by people with a lot more experience than most of us here at Netrider. A simple search on the web will gove you years of reading. Just remember to put thoery into practice.
  11. +1 Keith Code, alot of very valuable principals in his book/s
  12. Cornering, you can read about it, but you still need to put it into practice - and that means you need someone to watch you ride, for those mistakes that you don't notice yourself making. Suck in TOTW2 or another reasonably well respected resource, a chapter at a time, and get somebody who knows what they're doing to ride with you with a focus on the basic subjects one by one - better to learn right than to learn fast.
  13. I see where you're all coming from. ie different styles, opinions.
    Thanks Guys, I guess it's track day for me.
  14. Blah Blah All Been Said Blah Blah Keith Code. :blah:
    There is a lot on cornering, and as much as when you are starting out the word advanced sounds a bit daunting, all of the same principles apply on the road as the race track, the bike behaves the same. Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2 give you very good ground work. Some people will say that there are rules in there that shouldn’t apply. But this only happens in Truly advanced cornering conversations, and really shouldn’t be considered until you have the “Code†basics down
    It’s all in the book :deal:
  15. There's a lot of smaller threads on the many different aspects of cornering - it would be a giant job to put together "ye comprehensive book of cornering" because every situation is different. Off the top of my head there's:

- road lines
    - riding with your eyes
    - chasing the vanishing point
    - throttle control and how it affects traction
    - target fixation and how to combat it/use it to get out of trouble
    - body position and weight distribution/outside peg weighting
    - steering inputs/inside hand steering
    - braking in a corner
    - using the throttle to turn the bike between corners
    - knee down cornering
    - dealing with gravel
    - dragging metal
    - roadcraft on group rides
    - overtaking cars/trucks/caravans/other bikes in the twisties

etc etc etc
  16. IMHO it's not about 'book-learnin' (or 'web-learnin') anyway. You can read yourself blind, but it doesn't matter sh!t until your body learns to act the right way without conscious decision-making. The only place you can teach yourself that (or even better - be taught!) is on the road, and the only safe place to do it is a track. (edit: by that I mean a riding course, not just a track day).

Then you can talk yourself blue about it like the rest of us.
  17. There is alot of good info on cornering from some seasoned riders throughout the threads here on Netrider. But it IS a task to sort through it all, and it is filled with contradicting "opinions" from the less experienced on the subject.
    Having said that, there are fundementals which everyone agrees on.

It's really quite a BIG job to cover the aspects of cornering in one neat and tidy one or two page "quick-reference guide", since there are so many variables.

Nevertheless, the info is out there, and you should read it all to form your own opinions, on what is the most effective based on your expeiences as you employ the techniques.

As Titus alluded to...at some point, you need to experience what you read - until then, it's all just conversation. So get with a mentor, or go do an advanced cornering school. Then take just one or two specific areas of your cornering and work on it, till it becomes more or less second nature.

I found when Mentoring, that if a rider tries to do too much at once they will not progress very far, simply due to information overload. It takes time and you have to work up to the finer points of techniques and bike control etc.
  18. That's a bit of broad statement to make, isn't it, Smee?
    You think all the riders on here don't know what they're talking about?
    Or are you meaning that due to the inexperience of many, you are likely to get alot of differing opinions, which will tend to hide the correct answers from clear view. ?

19. Love all those "Don't give a sh*t" votes... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Even if I knew it all (not), I still would'nt select THAT answer, since as an enthusiastic rider, I enjoy discussions about cornering - it being possibly the most important part of biking.
    To not be interested in it, is astounding!...or am I reading the apparant sentiments incorrectly fellahs?