Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Watery oil in airbox

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by resonator, Jul 7, 2007.

1. I opened up my airbox on my CBR250rr this afternoon to replace the choke cable and noticed some milky oil like it had gotten wet. I wasn't sure if either water or oil should be getting in.

If it helps it was in a boxed off section in the front right of the plastic molding where a hose connects from the underside. Is this normal?

2. Yes it is normal. That is where crankcase vapours are drawn into the airbox, a little oil mist and condensation are perfectly normal.

Regards, Andrew.

3. cool as. I guess the operation was a success then. :)

4. +1
    especially at this time of year, when there is such a drastic contrast in temperature between the outside world and the inside of the motor. this makes the condensation increase heaps :)

5. That's the technical term I was looking for..heaps! :LOL:

Regards, Andrew.

6. I would also say, depending on how much milky oil there is.

Best to drop your engine oil to see if it is contaminated. If it is milky, start looking at the head gasket.

7. +2
    Very common this time of year...
    unless your dipstick/sightglass is entirely milky and you coolant is low... dont stress.