Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Waterproofing Textile Jacket

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by VCM, Apr 3, 2008.

1. I hope the new software allows search by title, my search did not exactly find the results I was after, so I apoligise in advance if this has been posted 100 times already.
    Riding home last night, in the midst of all that wind and rain, I arrived home totting a damp t-shirt. Was so damn cold my wife thought she could see my nipples protruding through the Rjays :p

ok ok, I'll get to the point..
    Obviously my Jacket has lost its ability to dispel water.
    Just wondering what you guys suggest I use to re-waterproof it.
    I've seen a few brands at the local supermarket, but I'm assuming a better product would be found somewhere like Ray's Outdoors or Aussie Disposals :?:

Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. $50 gets you a waterproof over-jacket.

Cheapest option
  3. +1

I have a quilted jumpsuit that sit ontop ones leathers. It keeps you 100% dry and eliminates all wind chill factor.

Mine only cost $35 from a hiking store
  4. Never even thought of an over-jacket..
    Thanks Guys, will look into it. Prob avail at those stores I meantioned.
  5. I got a cheap breathable jacket from aussie disposals a while back that
    I wear as an over-jacket.
    Not as good as goretex but much better than pvc.
  6. Buying another jacket to go over the top aside, is there anything suitable for waterproofing textile stuff?
  7. Not sure if its suitable for jackets as such, but worked on my shoes. Its a spray on waterproofer which I got from an outdoors store. Was just a generic brand.
  8. Rays outdoors had a few cans of waterproofing that stated were for use on most fabrics. I treated my RJ's and bought an over-jacket :)
    ..ok I also bought:
    2 pairs thermal socks
    1 pair thermal glove inner liners
    1 pair thermal bottoms
    2 pair thermal tops

.. and a partridge in a pear tree :LOL: :LOL:
    I so HATE feeling cold