Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Waterproofing leather

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by nathanshnoz, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Just curious as to what products i should/can use to waterproof my leather jacket?

2.  Top
  3. Kiwi "Dubbin" Neutral shoe polish. Available in Coles, Woolies/Safeway & all stores.
    :)

Basically it works to a limited extent for me. Riding 40mins in torrential rain on the (VIC) Eastern F/way a week ago, my leather pants repelled water for some 20mins. But after that it started soaking up a li'll.

4. So you are recommending something that has lasts about 20 mins? :roll:

Think you need to try Sno Seal as Vic suggested :wink:

5. I snosealed my leather pants and I only had to redo them 12 months later.

I rode in those pants every day to and from work and on weekends......then I had kids, sold the bike, bought a convertible and was bikeless for almost 2 years.

6. how much 'sno seal' would i need to waterproof my whole jacket? It doesnt say how big the tube is or how much i would need?

7. The tubes we sell are enough to do your pants, jacket, gloves, G-string & boots about 5 times over.

You use very little.

Heat the garment up with a hair dryer and work a small portion of it into the leather till it dries then buff off the excess.

8. Torrential rain - 20mins. Other conditions, no prob. Leather being what they are, I reckon they worked pretty well.
    I'm game to try that Sno-seal thing ... when I run out of Dubbin! :)

9. Sno-seal is the biz.

I have done my boots and jacket and anything else that was leather in the house!