Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Waterproof treatment

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by tonee, May 6, 2013.

1. My Dainese D-Dry jacket is starting to lose it's waterproof membrane, after doing some online search I found this product:

and this for my gloves

Does anyone know where to get these in Australia or other available alternatives?

2. I must say I've never heard of those two but I've used sno seal for a while and found it to be terrific, widely recommended, waterproof's and treats the leather. Usually found in camping stores or some bike stores ie rays outdoors or bikebizz.

Bugger d dry a textile sry, just realised
  3. Cheers, eBay it is!
  4. Why should you need to use a waterproof agent with Gore-tex? (Cleaning the pores?) I thought Gore-tex was supposed to be a waterproof membrane in itself.
  5. it is, but the outer fabric can absorb water
  6. I always used Nikwax on my ski gear, but these days I prefer Grangers for my Goretex.

Nikwax can be bought in most outdoor/skiing shops around Hardware Lane area in Melbourne, as can Grangers.

The biggest issue with Goretex remaining waterproof is for the pores between the weave staying clean and free of road dirt, grit, etc. Goretex 'breathes' through these pores but when the weave gets wet the pores close up and it is then waterproof. If there is dirt in them the pores remain open and leak. I wash my jacket about every 4 months, and then treat it with Grangers followed by a warm 15 minute tumble dry in an industrial drier at the local laundromat.

I haven't needed my rain suit for years, the Tiger Angel jacket and proper treatment is dry and warm as toast :D
  7. Pfft all of those things are old tech compared to what has been achieved using nanotechnology.

They sell superhydrophobic aerosol spray, i doubt you can do better for water protection. BECAUSE SCIENCE!

disclaimer: i have not tried this because i own a rain suit when i go riding. However this stuff really seems like the future, much more advance than scotchgard or waxes
  8. It's obvious you haven't tried it since it's the equivalent of wearing a rubber suit: it won't breath and will not equate to the Goretex that the OP is asking about :rolleyes:
  9. #11 Unconnected, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
    i dont think that the OP is asking about goretex, looked up the d dry no mention of goretex, considering a goretex suit is like a 1500 dollar investment i would say its generally best to assume that ones rain suit is not goretex.

However i do agree, it would be useless for goretex and shouldnt be used on that.

so yeah, :rolleyes: @ you

EDIT: Also your understanding of goretex is not exactly correct, the pores are specifically sized to be big enough for water molecules to flow through in the form of sweat and steam, but small enough to prevent liquid water from penetrating, the pores do no close up or anything like that.