Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Water Sealed

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by WhatASlowRider, Jul 4, 2011.

1. I was watching a youtube showing of cleaning a bike, the guy was saying not to use pressure hose cuz parts are not water sealed bla..., which leads me to this (dumb) question - how do you ride in heave rains? If you have to will it damage the bike? I have no car so have to ride in all seasons

2. The rain won't hit your electrics at 1200 psi !!!
  3. And by washing with the old bucket and hand, you get to spot loose bit n pieces, like persistant hyosung chain guard grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and other maintenance/servicing items
  4. Seen a few Hyo's with non-standard bolts holding that on!!!
    As chicken78 said, just use a bucket & sponge (& a quality auto cleaner, not dishwashing liquid!)
    Then a gentle rinse from the hose fitted with a 'shower spray' type fitting. Chamois off & you're done.
  5. And lube the chain after a wash or riding in heavy rain while you are at it.
  6. And dont use Mr sheen! Ive seen a world champ cyclist having a seriously "blonde" moment, spray the bike in mr sheen to polish it up before the worlds.....umm mr sheen and brake pads do not mix....
  7. You may occasionally have minor issues.

SV650s for instance don't adequately protect the front cylinder from water from the front wheel.
    And if the drain plug on the cylinder head gets clogged with a little bit of mud you're rapidly riding a 325 :(

Googling your bike and wet weather might identify those sort of issues that are simple to fix (or prevent) once you know about them
  8. Also recommend you dont armour all your seat...
  9. I use Mr Sheen on the plastic / metal and was introduced to it by an experienced motorcyclist. It's cheap too. But, yes, as you say you have to be careful not to spray it near or on disk brakes!
  10. Don't run with knives or scissors
  11. Well it was thyme