Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Water Powered Car

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mid77, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Electrolysis scam. Water is not, and never will be a fuel. Chemistry says more energy must be lost converting the water to hydrogen and oxygen. Less efficient than an electric car (electric cars will never work either mind).
  2. Yup, gotta be more to it than what they're revealing in that article. If it worked the way they say it does then surely the more obvious use would have been generating power from oceans.
  3. Well duh JD, there's salt in thems waters... might cause the heads to pit and rust out :p :LOL:

Bet the Japanese would love to "accidentally" have to pull a whale out of their power plant tho... ;)
  4. It's a spoof. I hope it is anyway, because otherwise it's a scam, which is much nastier and more destructive.

Car shown is the Indian Reva electric (which is a pile of crap, by the way, and yes I have seen one up close).

I'm deeply suspicious of any power source claim that involves an anonymous looking box that we don't see inside of.

Just so you're equipped to spot other water power scams, be aware that you can buy, off the shelf, welding plants that electrolyse water to produce hydrogen and oxygen and then combine them to produce the welding flame. I seem to remember it's called Brown's gas. Trouble is, you need to plug them into the wall to make them work :grin: . Of course, if some unscrupulous person powered one of these plants from a hefty, hidden battery and presented their "invention" to a technically illiterate audience (98% of the general population and 99.9% of cashed up greenies at the last count), they might very well generate a few headlines.
  5. But there's also been a lot of serious research into using a catalyst to split the hydrogen/oxygen from water. So the technology does exist, I'm just sceptical they could have come up with not only something that works, but something that's also compact enough to fit in a car. I would have thought making something larger first would have made more sense (portable power generators for example).

Edit: For those that may be interested this is the sort of stuff people have been working on:
  6. Fair enough. I wasn't aware of that. However, none of the "water as a power source" claims I have seen appear likely, for any number of reasons, to have anything to do with such legitimate research.

I've also heard a first hand account of the beginnings of an early (1950s) water powered car rumour, so I tend to be cynical about such matters.

Next up, perpetual motion machines that Exxon don't want you to know about :wink: .