Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Water in rear indicators

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by PEEair, Mar 24, 2012.

1. So I've been riding around in the rain for the past few days and have just noticed that there are some condensation in both of my rear indicators. What would be the best way to remove the condensation? I'm thinking of heating it up with a hair dryer. The clear plastic part is glue on so I don't think I can remove it to clean out the water. Also is there some type of sealant I can put on the outside around the gap where the black plastic connect with the clear plastic to prevent this from happening again?

2. Are they the originals, you can usually get them off so that you can change the bulbs.
  3. No they are aftermarket indicators. It came with the bike when I bought it.
  4. ignore it and it will go away.

often there is a small hole at the bottom to let water escape. no harm in making one
  5. Will the water affect the LEDs over time?
  6. i don't know
  7. I agree ignore it, if they stop working buy more, chinese indicators are cheap.

I probably wouldnt use a hair dryer on it, as you will probably stuff a seal (well more than now). Maybe put it in the sun.
  8. On my old XF (car) I drilled a small hole in the bottom of each brake light when this happened. Cleared up in no time.
    The indicators on a bike are much smaller though so I'm not sure how this would go, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
  9. I guess I'll just leave it how it is and buy new indicators when this one break.