Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Watching YouTube

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Cris, Mar 31, 2014.

1. OK, so I'm waiting for my prelearners course booked in a couple of weeks, and reading up a bit on riding techniques, safety etc. This looks like a useful article, I (sensibly) think to myself. Then find it contains, amongst other gems, a link to a video of a rider coming off his bike at 75mph because of what looks like the tiniest bit of over-zealous front brake squeezing. Jesus. It's terrifying.

Is it really that easy to kill yourself on a bike, every single second? How does anyone make it to the end of a day's riding? And why do I still want to do the prelearners (at 50, never having ridden before)? I've never noticed having a death wish.

(The guy in the video survived unscathed, and said it was his first ride on an unfamiliar bike. But still).

2. Yes and no. Isn’t this ^ putting the cart before the horse? It is easy enough to be killed in any activity when you actually stop and give it some thought.

You have a choice. You can focus on the negatives until they become an overwhelming chaotic mass of uncontrollable possibilities and live/ride in fear. Or you can focus on the positives, while respecting personal limitations, and exert control over that which you can control (eg. yourself) while accepting the fact you do not have limitless control over everything (eg. others, the environment).

When it comes to riding a motorbike you will continually be tested on just how well you know yourself. This demands you be absolutely honest with yourself – only you know what’s going on inside your head. It can be liberating as a discipline. It will be what you choose it to be.

Is that a death wish, or a life wish?
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Good answer. I was being a bit tongue in cheek, but no kidding about some of those accidents looking terrifying. I really had no idea that too much brake could have that effect when going in a straight line on what looks like a decent road surface I've seen enough though, and I don't intend to get into an overwhelming knot of fear. And no-one's forcing me to take up riding.

Nicely put.
  4. Yes, yes motorcycling is that dangerous. You will stare death in the face every time you get on your bike. The slightest error will cause you to crash and die, or at the very least suffer serious physical or mental injuries.

You should immediately cease any thought of getting your motorcycle license, it is obviously far too dangerous for you.
  5. Riding isn't for everyone. If you're seriously worried about injury maybe find another form of transport.

By all means watch crash vids, but learn from them don't use them to scare yourself.

*NB I am aware that you're not entirely serious but this subject comes up every so often and it's usually posted by inexperienced riders. My answer is a general comment not directly aimed at you.
  6. Hmm. If you could learn that kind of final lesson from a reaction to a yt vid, you'd never have to leave the house. I think though I will leave the house and find out what my reactions are in three dimensions. I take your point though.
  7. Various kinds of "fail" videos are often used in training emergency services, military and others in dangerous occupations. The key is to look for what went wrong and work out what YOU need to do right in a similar situation.
  8. 99.99% of the time when you apply brakes in a straight line in the dry, a bike just stops safely. Something else went on in that vid but I don't know what.
    On the other hand if you are expecting to live forever riding is not the way to do it.
  9. Another thing for you to consider. "Fear of crashing is often a self fulfilling prophecy". Not my words.
  10. OK, it seems I've made a noob's mistake and posted something that clearly irritates experienced folk. 'Scuse me all.

FWIW, I was mainly reading/watching to see what I could learn in my head before doing the prelearners (the crash vids did then kind of grab my attention). With other physical skills I've found a bit of mental practise pretty useful. I'll see if that's the case here.
  11. Mate you've not irritated me at all, I've seen riders talk themselves into crashing as they believe it's inevitable.

Like I said use the vids to learn how you would avoid the crash - not to scare yourself into coming off.
  12. Posting it once is fair enough, but this is the second time you have commented with similar fears.

I can't speak for everyone, but be assured I am not going to pat you on the head and tell you it's going to be alright.

If you have real fears then you need to reconsider your plan. If the fears aren't real then read the 'sticky threads' in the newbies area. They won't make much sense to you, but once you've done the course they will start to make sense. Then as you get more experience and skill (don't confuse confidence with skill) they will make even more sense and they will help you progress.
  13. Not exactly. If you mean the post about bike-dropping, that was more a request for info than a voicing of fears. Safety is a concern (surely that's sensible?), and I also find it kind of interesting.

They're genuine enough, but (I think) reasonably proportional (this post here was an only half-serious expression of a momentary reaction). I don't think you can truly gauge fear of a situation without trying that situation out for real.

I'll check out those threads.
  14. I've crashed like that... easy to do, and to avoid. if you watch it again you'll notice he get's a little time to respond before he goes down, not that you would unless you've experienced it before or are a gun rider.
  15. Mate, there's nothing wrong with wanting to see what you're getting yourself into from my perspective. Just make sure you keep in mind that you're not going to see a whole lot of video's of a pleasant uneventful ride on you tube in comparison. Search for car dash cam, and you'd probably feel the same way about getting your car license too. Or plane crashes, etc... ;)

From what I've seen - it's actually not uncommon to have the initial questions / fears that you have prior to starting out. The problem is that there is an unwritten wives tale that if you see too many posts about someone who has a fear of crashing - that will jinx the reader too and they'll crash - hence the hostilities to people asking about crashes. As such some people seem to have a fear of accidents - others seem to have a fear of people having a fear of accidents. :)

Seriously though - if you can - learn from other peoples mistakes first is a great idea. I'd be more worried about those who just don't care in the first place to want to learn what they can do to lessen their risks - but it's a free world, each to their own. IMO, it's good to be prudent, not so much to be paranoid. You can't guarantee you will never crash, but if you're safety conscious you can definitely reduce the risks you expose yourself to, to a certain degree. It sounds like (to me at least) that's what you're wanting to achieve. Just make sure you find where the line is between prudence and paranoia, as the latter will sap all the joy out - and as others mentioned, could actually make your chances worse for you.

Also, as others have mentioned, there's some great existing threads - as this fear is not uncommon - this is something that has been discussed numerous times. Good luck with it.
  16. Just before I finally took the plunge to get my motorbike licence I was in a semi serious accident. A drink driver hit my 4wd as he was weaving through traffic. He hit me at such an angle that he spun me in to a concrete wall. My car was snapped in half and it was a prado! Total write off and me in hospital.

Much to my families horror, I recover mostly, then get a bike!
    Sure I am way more aware of how fragile my life is on the bike and occasionally my thoughts slip there, but what I am finding is that I am a way more conscious driver in my day to day job. When you drive the hours I do it doesn't take much to get complacent...
    I know this is no secret that bikers make better drivers and I know that if a mistake is made on the bike it could have serious consequences.
    But not one regret so far and a safer driver for sure....
    So that was long winded but I guess I was saying that by doing this crazy thing - I have also made my work day safer. And other people safer from me as well.
    That's my excuse and I am sticking to it ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. In my experience, after the first crash, the next ones go like this:

"Fcukin hell! What's this one gonna cost to fix?"
    "I'm gonna be sore tomorrow!"
    "Oh man, don't tell me I'm gonna hit THAT!"
    "DOOAFF!!! OK, that didn't hurt as much as I thought it would."
    (Pick yourself up)
    "Yeah, I'm alright."
    (Start picking up the bike)
    "Oh... Actually, I'm really sore... Fcuk, that hurts!"
    (Ride home)
    "Fcuk that hurts! How am I gonna convince the Mrs that this one was from a freak one-off cause that isn't likely to happen again?"
    (Get home to Mrs saying "Blah blah blah I don't want you riding motorbikes anymore blah blah bla they're dangerous blah blah blah what if you get killed blah blah blah what's that gonna cost to fix blah blah blah blah blah!")
  18. #18 twistngo, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Nah. It was a hamfisted grab at the brakes. Have to be smooth and gentle on a sporty bike. Any sort of decent training would stop that.

you watch the wrong videos

• Like Like x 2
  19. Noted, thanks (you run a tight ship).

Ha, I can kind of picture that (with notable exception of wife part .. mine abandoned a 15 year marriage abruptly not so long ago .. taking up riding now is not entirely unrelated).

Wow. My riding interest is more about touring than speed (love to get out of town, never enjoyed being cooped up in a car), but some of those point-of-view sequences are electrifying.
  20. Half your bloody luck! ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1