Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Watch those side streets. (SMIDSY)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by FoxRiderJ, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Just a heads up / friendly reminder to the new and 'weathered' riders.

Keep an eye out when approaching those side streets, especially the ones on our left.

In Leichhardt this morning, peak hour, riding in front of a truck on a two lane road, we're both on the left. He has his signals to turn left into an upcoming street, (could see him in my mirrors.) As we approach the side street, my peripheral catches a Toorak Tractor, blue Ford Explorer, coming in way too hot.

I anticipate she's gonna fly into the street, cover my brakes and ride closer to the centre line. I look into the driver window.

She does her head check whilst still at speed, i see her eyes lock to the truck BEHIND me, which is slowing to turn into the street she's turning out of.

She's free she thinks, and flies forward. I see the grills of her engine and i split into the centre line, coming to a stop behind a cage. I look back at her as she passes by: she's totally oblivious she had just missed me.

I shook my head and moved on.

I have a fear of side streets ever since a bus pulled out of one at speed in Five Dock, not even stopping to check for traffic, caused me to lock my tires.

So watch those side streets, practise the Smidsy, live to ride and ride to live.
  2. Also, watch out on country roads, farmers don't seem to have a very well developed perspective of speed.
  3. Dont forget roundabouts,some dont hesiate to plow straight through
  4. Basically I'd suggest that you keep you're wits about you all the time. You never know where the next blind moron is going to come from.
  5. I cannot agree more, I always check side streets to my left for retards not paying attention.
  6. on the way home from work last Friday i was on a back street coming up to a main road, now as normal the right hand lane on the main road was bumper to bumper but the left lane was clear.

As i got to the intersection i put my left blinker on and come to a complete stop (it can be a bit hard in peek hour to see if any traffic is coming up the left lane). After about 3 seconds i started to pull out onto the main rd, a guy in a Camry sitting in the right lane pulled out of the right lane into the left lane as i was on the apex of the corner... my leg only just brushed his bumper thank god.

he beeped his horn and yelled i didnt give way to him... since when do you give way to the right i thought, but that dont matter as the car behind him was unmarked cop car.

he didnt give way to the left the copper said and he also said something about undue care and attention on the guys behalf

so +1 b12mick and his keep you're wits about you all the time comment.
  7. I find riding to learner practice down North Rd is an experience in LHS road creepers. And the right hand lane is the domain of the sudden stop'n'turners.

It's an exercise in scanning for everything.
  8. Well done on avoiding it. It sounds like a very, very bad situation and you only just escaped.

Did you try "the SMIDSY avoidance manuever" as you started to slow?

Good job on avoiding it, in this kind of situation, i doubt the truck driver would have been accounting for you in his stopping distance. Hauling on the anchors probably would have seen you smushed by the truck. I say good job and good decision :)
  9. We're in an era where "defensive driving" is the norm - the number of times I have to yield to some numb-nut who disregards road rules is getting beyond a joke these days. Just yesterday I was turning right through a roundabout and had my eye on a L-plater who was approaching from the opposite side of the intersections too hot had me thinking, "they're not going to stop". I slowed and sure enough, they sailed through the roundabout completely oblivious to me (in a cage) with the so-called "supervising driver" texting away on their mobile none-the wiser of what just happened. That leads me to another subject (of which I don't want to derail this thread with) - supervisor drivers of L-platers who don't pay attention; eg. allowing the L-plater to speed or generally use their time doing things rather than concentrate on what their learner is actually up to.

In regards to the incident with the OP... how often do we hear of people target-fixing on the larger object (the truck) and missing the smaller (bike) preceding it? Just something to watch out for as it gonna happen time and time again. You could attempt to make yourself more visible (flash your lights, weave around etc.) or just accept that this will happen and be ready for it.
  10. Think it's time for this video again....
    Particularly look at the part where he describes how small a moto looks until it's virtually arrived.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I personally always use the SMIDSY move, I'm sure people think I'm just stuffing around, but at least they notice me.
  12. This should be a sticky right here, so newbies can see it too.

@Blaise, she did 'target fix' alright. I ride with my high beams on during the day, and was smidsy-ing through, i'm certain all she saw was a big feck off truck turning left.

Cagers are blind. We are all safe to assume that fact.

@ Ninja, you're right. If i was the truck driver i wouldn't account for the bike in front of me too, seeing it was a clear lane ahead of us and truck is turning left. I definitely wouldn't ended up as his bonnet icon if i had slammed my brakes instead of splitting down the middle.

Luckily there was no other bike splitting at the time.
  13. Another thing to watch out for is to NEVER stay in a cager's blind spot .... on my way south along Rocky Point / Taren Point Rd yesterday evening (peak hour traffic), had two drivers almost swing in front of me thanks to their blind spot. If not for my piddly horn and visibility of dual headlights (one HID white, one halogen yellowish, thanks to poor design on my part ...), I would have been mashed.

With so much traffic it was a bit hard to accelerate away from the blind spots, but just beware ... try not to stay in any cager's blind spot.

I'm not particularly upset at the cagers here, because drivers are simply not trained to cover their blind spots or trained to look out for 2-wheelers - I remember about 20 years ago when I just got my P's, I turned out into a street near Queens Park and some poor mbike swerved and missed me, stopped and sweared at me ... I seriously did not see him, such was my untrained skills then ....

Bottomline is, we need to be defensively SMIDSY .... our lives are in our hands, not the cagers ....
  14. Just to confirm, is the SMIDSY move the pretend slalom?
  15. I tend to change position within the lane and get ready to take action in case someone does pull out.

e.g. I'll move closer to the right of the lane, try to find an escape route if there is one, and prepare to brake if they're going to pull out far enough away from me or prepare to accelerate through if they decide to pull out very close. (As in close enough to t-bone.)

My reasoning behind this is that if I'm further right I have more vision of the intersecting road. Assuming they're not blind the driver should see me earlier too. I'd prepare to brake if they pull out at a safe stopping distance and the road behind me is clear. I prepare to get out of dodge while going past in case they do something stupid like attempt to t bone me right as I'm passing.

Seems to me that I'm doing the right thing, and the Ride On DVD that Doug gave me gives similar advice. (Great DVD, thanks Doug.)

Anything I should change? Would it be better to do something that would catch the attention of the driver?

Another escape route I guess would be steering hard left to get behind them, but that assumes that they continue on and don't stop dead in their tracks if they see a motorcycle bearing down on them. (A lot of drivers seem to hit the brakes when a better reaction would be to accelerate.)

Currently watching that youtube vid, good link.
  16. That's the one - the large "positive movements" as they are described in the vid
  17. What I do is, slow down, smidsy move, and keep an eye on the top of the car's visible front wheel. If they still haven't seen me I will be able to clearly and quickly notice that their vehicle is moving before they're even out in front of me, so I have extra time to e-brake.
  18. Right, that drags the driver's eye to the moving headlight and lifts the bike out of the background.

You know there's a push to put day running lights on cars? What do you think that will do for bike visual conspicuity?
  19. Talking about running lights, you should be able to legally put extra lights at the front of your bike. I've read that they're not approved under ADR and it's a load of codswallop. Not only will they be better for drivers being able to see us and us being able to see stuff in the night, imagine the implications for corner visibility. You could attach them to servo motors so that they turn when you go around corners. No you won't be able to see what's straight in front of you, but you'll be able to spot that possum running out from the side of the road.
  20. No I think that's the SIAM - Smidsy I... Avoidance Manoeuvre.