Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Watch me make these wires disappear

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by oby_2, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Hey All,

Getting to the final stages of a rebuild and after changing out the gauges and looking to change the headlight, I have a truck load of wires sticking out and looking horrible.

Anyone got any recommendations for a solution?

My thoughts are perhaps to attach a small box between the front forks and shove what I can in there before I mount the lights in front of that. I don't have a lot of space though, so other ideas are welcome.

Cheers,
    oby

2. Look at what the chopper boys do, you're probably not a fan but there are some clever little things to do.

You could always cut the wires down, rejoin them and stick some headshrink on 'em?

3. What bike? This would help with advice.

4. I just had to deal with a huge tangle of wires at the front of Cheng's Across Streetfighter. I was originally thinking I'd just chop the lot down to the minimum required length and there'd be less to deal with but I wasn't sure everything would be staying where it was so I decided to keep the lot.

I used a bunch of thick heat shrink jiggers from supercheap to hold the main bunches together, then folded it all up with bits sticking out at the right spots and wound the lot up in electrical tape behind the headlights. You'd be surprised how well it all fits back there.

So if you don't want to chop your loom down, crimp pulgs and sockets onto each exposed end and rejoin it all, try heatshrink and leccy tape.

5. Conduit is the tidy solution. I will give some to Loz, so that he can pretend to be a Proffesional.

6. It's an old XJ900 (85) so it has a bit more space than an Across which was my first bike back in 01'. I might see how easily it all folds together as you say and make a decision from there. Might check out some custom chopper sites for inspiration as well.

Cheers all.