Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Washing the bike with the engine still hot?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by siddant, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Gday Everyone,
    Thinking of take the bike to the local car wash for a clean.
    I am not sure if I should get it washed with the engine still warm?
    any advice please.

2. i wouldn't be too concerned unless you have got the thing freakin' hot. if you do just wait 5 minutes for it to cool a tad before you start. Be careful where you spray the hose, as high pressure will remove decals, paint, and possibly kill electrical connections amongst other things.
  3. I wouldnt risk it, the high pressure hose or the spraying from all directions would worry me a bit.
  4. be especially careful not to aim a water-blaster right into the axles of the wheels. You could potentially damage the bearing seals that way.
  5. Only problem is the bike will get hotter in those 5 minutes as there is no wind cooling it down like there is while riding.

Good call on the high pressure hose. I would never use one of those bad boys on my bike.
  6. i high pressure hose my bike all the time and have never had a problem with anything.

I give the slightest of sprays over my cluster and headlights too to remove the dust that builds up over them and no problems.

That said, I usually clean it when its really hot then let it steam off for a while before starting the engine...
  7. after your ride there let it cool a touch. then clean as per usual. yes, dont be a rambo with the high pressure though
  8. I buff mine with dirty rags and sand paper.
  9. LOL I use steel wool on those shiny bits too
  10. why so gentle ?. rocks are great for getting stubborn bugs off and then a nice towel down with the front door matt..
  11. Even your being to gentle !

Absolutely nothing beats a 4500psi sandblaster, really good for stubborn bugs on the windscreen and those bits of tar that stick to everything, does wonders for cleaning the engine and chain too. If your really good you can even remove that top layer of polish as well.
  12. Presumably the engine would be off at this point, hence the cooling-down period. Make it 10 or 15 minutes if you're really concerned!

+1 on not using pressure sprayers though. Asking for trouble, I reckon.