Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Was this wrong?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by cam229, Apr 7, 2007.

1. HI guys,

I have just come back from one of the local bike shops, where I went with the intention of buying a pair of textile pants.

After speaking withthe sales person, he was pushing me towards the draggin jeans, which I eventually bought instead of the textiles.

Do draggins offer the same/more protection than textiles?

I need to wear textiles as I have a mild allergy to leather.

2. Draggins only offer protection where the kevlar lining is. If they haven't changed since I bought mine, that protection is only for the arse, some thigh coverage and the knees. These are the areas you are most likely to slide along on.

Textiles (if it was Cordura) offers protection wherever the material is (hence it being a substitute for leather). Also they are probably more resistant (wind/water) to the elements than Draggins as well.
  3. It's all dependent on fashion verses function.
    Draggins are usually comfy and look like normal jeans/cargo pants, with the added abrasion resistance of kevlar.
    Most Scotchlite/Cordura pants will come with some knee and/or hip armour/padding so you get abrasion resistance and some impact protection.
  4. Damn you Haggisman!!! I'll get in first next time :LOL:
  5. Thanks for the input everyone. I was wondering the same thing. The Ixon Climber textile pants I am going to get has armor on the knees thats like whats found in the elbow and shoulder guards in their jackets. It also has padding around the hips.
  6. Thanks for the answers so quickly guys.

I think I'll take em back and get the textiles like I was going to in the first place.

7. make sure you didn't take the logo/price off :LOL:
  8. Draggins don't have leather in them.

Kevlar is a man made organic fiber therefore not even close to cow skin
  9. Yes but I think he stated this was the reason why he had to decide between Kevlar Jeans or Textile pants.
  10. I'd go the jeans, denim itself is fairly tough. That and you can say you have bulletproof jeans :grin:

11. ummm you are kidding right? have any significant off in a pair of jeans and you will end up with a steel wool scrub down

the draggins are ok as there is that little bit abrasion resistance but its still not great, textile pants are also abrasion resistant and other someform of impact protection as stated
  12. Kevlar will outperform Cordura in abrasion every time, although Cordura is stil an excellent material.
    Proper jeans (like Levis) are pretty tough, but concrete/bitumen will wear through them. They are still a better option than Stubbies though!
    Regards, Andrew.
  13. I have both kevlar jeans and cordura 'Motodry' pants. The jeans aren't Draggin but a brand called Mir. They have Kevlar in the but and hips and knee area. I have had a stack wearing Levis and while the butt/hip area (of the jeans) liked fine, the skin underneath was stripped. If the properties of Kevlar are true then I would have been okay however there are unprotected areas of the jeans I now have and hence there is risk. Don't know a great deal about the prtective properties of Cordura but I have pretty good armour protection in the knees plus hip padding. Hopefully I never need the protection these garments provide but my rule of thumb is wear the jeans in fine weather and the cordura in wet/cold conditions. I have the Motodry jacket too and can confirm that little cold, wind or rain gets in. Great gear.
  14. This was the answer I was searching for.

15. Hey mate, my local shop convinced me to go with the draggin jeans as well

I have found my draggins have done well they are cool enough in summer and warm enough so far as long as you keep under 80ks

I havent road tested them and dont plan to

one thing i like about the jeans if they get wet they dry pretty easy unlike leather
  16. I am not sure I subscribe to this line of thinking.
    Yes apples for apples Kevlar is better than cordura. But tight weaved Cordura Vs Kevlar knit (As used in dragins and hornies) it's not an apples for apples comparison. The other key thing the cordura options have is the semi rigid protection on the knees. i have a pair of each. In hot weather if I am riding seriosly, i through some motorcross greaves under the Hornies, but for real protection I think the cordies will win.
  17. I was referring purely to the textile itself, not to the construction of the clothing or any extra padding.
    Kevlar is pretty cool stuff, it is very difficult to cut, and has amazing abrasion resistance. I've held strips of kevlar over bench grinder wheels and been able to apply enough friction to stop teh grinder before the kevlar abraded through. A strip of Cordura I tested wore through on teh grinder after about five seconds. Long enough to save your skin.
    Kevlar also does not melt or burn, which pretty much every other synthetic material (including Cordura) will eventually do.

Regards, Andrew.
  18. I am just pointing out that in the case of dragins and teh like that the kevlar is a knit (I am assuming to provide some heat dispersion) but that I don't believe this will provide the same abrasion protection as you would normaly be used to for kevlar.

BTW That is a prety cool test to compare.
  19. Agreed. Woven materials are usually best in abrasion resiatance, although knitted materials allow much more flexibility.
    This brings up another problem with kevlar, it's stiffness when woven.
    I suspect this is why Draggins etc use a knitted material, to allow some semblance of stretch and flexibility in their jeans. I don't think much can be done for heat dispersion in these situations, and a friction burn from the kevlar is almost guaranteed if teh garment is loose fitting in any way, as teh clothing can move over the skin causing the burn(see another recent post).
    I've used woven kevlars not much thicker than say the cardboard on a phone book cover, and it was so stiff it would almost stand out horizontal if held out flat in one direction.
    Woven materials are usually woven with a bias, that is, woven so that the threads running in one direction are crimped less (or not at all) than the other, so as to take maximum advantage of the materials tensile strenght, of which kevlar has lots. Whenever you crimp a woven fibre, it has the potential to stretch under load, and this can be undesireable, although shouldn't matter in clothing. This brings up kevlar's one big weakness, it does not like being crimped or kinked.

Regards, Andrew.
  20. I was asking for a pair of draggins for my birthday, but given that I can't afford 3 or 4 pairs, and that I commute on the bike, I'm now thinking about cordura over-pants instead. That way I just wear jeans or chinos every day and put the protection over that for the ride. Dunno whether I'll manage to put up with the hassle for the everyday, though, or just wear them when I go for a blat... given that I've been riding in just denims for the past 9 months or so, and the commute is mostly pretty slow.