Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Warranty on new bikes your service rights.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by munecito, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Thanks.

Please read page 3.

ACCC Consumer Affairs April 2005

Mods is it possible to make that document into a sticky?

Will

2. Well I wrote to Kawasaki Australia to find out their position regarding services. I quoted the owner´s obligations as per their warranty book and also quoted the ACCC newsletter. I´m really looking forward to hear from them to finally clarify the matter, even thought I think is clear enough after reading that newsletter.

After just a few calls the difference in price between the Dealers and a highly recommended Motorcycle Mechanic is about $100 for the same service.

Here is what I wrote:

Sorry for such a long post but I think this issue concerns a lot of people in NR as many of us buy new motorcycles without knowing as a fact the true about warranties and services.

I´ll keep you posted with the answer when I get it.

Will

3. Hi all,

According to Honda CB900F Owner's Manual the answer is YES. You can change the oil, filter and other items by yourself (see attachments):

However, couple months ago I have been told by Honda dealer that my warranty will void if I change the oil (?!?). I didn't want to argue anymore as the guy was very unprofessional and rude. Next time I will purchase items somewhere else.

Hope this helps.

Bosi

4. Hello.

I received a reply to the email I sent a couple of days ago regarding the services and warranty on the Kawasaki.

Please have a read to the reply:

Hope this helps all those new bike owners with any service/warranty queries. I replied to them that I don't plan to do every single service with a non Kawasaki dealer, but sometimes I won't really have the time to go to one of the dealers, so I will be using a good mechanic for all those oportunities.

Will

5. >You have obviously done your homework on this subject.

Sounds like you caught them.
    The sad thing is you had to "caught" them, otherwise they would play the same game as they did before.

Some people don't understand there are knowledgeable people outside their "official world" who can do things better than they would do. At the end of the day I don't need to spend X number of minutes to do some task in rush for money and profit. I can do that in X number of hours simply because I like it and enjoy doing that.

Simple question: How many (Honda) dealers are using recommended SAE80/90 to lubricate chain if you ask them to do that ? Probably none.

How many dealers are using suggested Honda 4-stroke Motorcycle Oil ? Probably no one.

The main point of examples above is: YES, I AM USING GENUINE HONDA PARTS as advised by owner's manual, but dealer will always recommend "the better (and expensive) one", again in a rush for profit ! I don't care if synthetic oil is better as long as Honda Oil is suggested.

I heard so many stories about "authorised" dealers and mechanics, so the only person I can trust is myself.

And finally, I don't care about warranty and "official" service history, anyone can put a stamp(s) in the warranty book for $100.

However, I do only care about my life !

6. munecito: GREAT WORK :)

7. I manage a bus company in Victoria so I'm familiar with the bus inspection systems in place here (and have a passing knowledge of the NSW system).

Several safeguards are in place.

1. All operators of commercial buses with a seating capacity of 12 or more passengers are required to be accredited, this requires passing a monash university course as well as a police check. Operators of smaller companies with 5 or less vehicles who don't do charter or route service operations can do the short course, operators who wish to operate charter or route services must do the full course.

2. Buses must be inspected by an independant (licensed and accredited) inspector at least once every 12 months.

3. A QAM system with 3 (or sometimes 4) different types of inspections is mandated and done at particular intervals of distance and time. For example an inspection must be done every 3 months or 10000kms and another inspection every 6 months or 20000kms (the 6 monthly inspection will be more comprehensive).

4. These safety inspections are seperate to and additional to the manufacturers recommended servicing requirements (although are often performed at or near the same time to reduce time off the road). It is a requirement that the manufacturers servicing intervals be adhered to as a minimum standard (although alternative approved servicing regimes can have approval granted at times, normally this would only occur where the bar is raised).

4. All drivers licenses and expiry dates are required to be recorded and re-checked at intervals.

5. All drivers are required to undergo police checks.

6. All drivers are required to undergo medicals (to the NRTC standards) at intervals of 3 years (unless over 60 whence it becomes 12 monthly, or 65 after which it becomes 3 monthly).

7. Fatigue management systems for driving and working hours are required to be implemented (this is rather complicated and the details probably aren't relevant).

NSW has a similar system, although the details vary. South Australia ditto, Tasmania is currently working on bringing in a similar system. I am unsure of the situation in WA or Qld.

Trucks and road trains are not currently (to the best of my knowledge) subject to similar mandatory regulations and operate under codes of conduct (which are less strict not only in intent but obviously in implementation).

Better, more responsible trucking companies do have similar, internal procedures in place (although they vary much more in content than the regulated systems in place in the bus industry), but there are many (mostly smaller) trucking companies who do not.

8. I would never take my bike/car to a dealership workshop unless they had a long-standing reputation of excellent work under the current management.

Dealerships often employ young monkeys who are often disinterested, non-motivated and unprofessional. I take my bike to one of two people in Canberra. Both workshops come highly recommended by many people. Their stamps on my service book account for more than any Dealers' stamps.

I used to take my car to Neal Bates Automotive and not National Capital Motors (I just sold it and now only have my bike). You know, Neal Bates, the Rally driver who often represents Australia overseas? Yeah, his workshop is open to the public when not prepping or returning from a race... that's what I told the two people who looked at my car (the second one bought it).

So yeah, take your bike to the most highly respected workshop in your vicinity and not to the money grabbing Dealer.

9. FYI .. this is also untrue, and the Kawaski person who sent you that email could get into legal problems by saying it is. You cannot refuse a warranty claim based solely on a parrt being used on a vehicle is not from the manufacturer, as they have to demonstrate that the part was the cause of the problem and is thus inferior and/or incompatible.

10. What he said. ^^

Now beware, the parts you use have to be of the same standard / quality.
    I'd write back to Kawasaki and suggest that you are horrified by this persons lack of knowledge and that you want an assurance that it's not thier position.

11. yes one of the major car manufacturers got in big shit from the ACCC over similar claim (ie. must be at a recognised service centre) Something to do with restriction of trade. Report it to the ACCC they will sort it out fast :)

As long as they are an authorised motor mechanic then they are able to service your vehicle.