Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Warming up the engine

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Dp., Oct 13, 2008.

1. When I start the engine in the morning and leave it idling for a couple of minutes what is the real indication of that the engine is warmed up and ready to go? Apparently two minutes of idling for my VTR is not enough...it feels a bit 'sleepy' for a first kilometre...
    I am wondering what is the right procedure?

2. 2 mins is plenty. Start it then gear up and ride away unless you're into wasting petrol. Engines warm up much quicker under load.
    Note: This is assuming it is running right in the first place.
  3. the revs on mine change heaps when its warming up, the choke revs it at like 6k so i have to turn it off i dont want to make too much noise, But then it wont idle so i have to screw in the idle screw, then if i walk away i will come back and its warmed up and now idling at 4k so i have to back off the idle screw.
  4. Never fast idle the bike more than about 2500rpm. When I need choke to keep the bike from stalling I keep it about 2000.

2-3 minutes and then ride off, just be extra gentle with the throttle for a while. Do NOT load the engine without enough power, ie. dont go so low in the rpm that its struggling to not lose speed.

My carby SV takes about 10 minutes to feel fully warmed up once I start riding, versus the fuel injected blade which takes about 2 minutes to get up to full operating temp once I start riding it.
  5. On my old niner, I start with the choke whether it's hot, cold or in between. The bike idles low for a few seconds, then rises to 3k RPM - this takes longer if it's cold and it's almost immediate if it's a warm day.

Once it's hit 3k, I turn the choke off completely and give it a couple of quick revs from the 1krpm idle up to about 4-6k, just to make sure it's not going to bog down on me at low revs when I go to take off, and once I've done that the bike will ride perfectly straight away. I don't leave it idling, from what I understand running a bike on idle doesn't pump the oil around with much pressure so it's not doing the bike many favours. If you must warm the thing up before you take off, I believe it's better to hold it at about 4kRPM on the throttle for a bit.

For the first 5 minutes or so of riding, I'm usually very gentle on the throttle at low revs (unless a departure wheelie is required) and I'll cruise a gear lower than usual (thus using higher revs) because as I understand it, labouring an engine at low revs while it's cold is the fastest way to cause wear and tear. I'll use this time to warm the tyres and brakes up a bit with a few hardish stops.

Once I feel the tyres come up to temp and pressure, it's game on as I assume the engine is warm. I'll then happily gas it from the lights if necessary and cruise in higher gears - although I still don't like labouring an engine by taking hills or giving it some welly when the revs are too low. This bike's gotta last me a while.

So there's my procedure - if your bike is idling strangely or the revs seem a bit variable and unpredictable, maybe there's fuel supply or carb cleaning/balancing/jetting issues to look at.
  6. or use it so you dont stuff your cams
  7. I'm sorry but using a response from 'yahoo answers' as proof of something is probably not going to get you a accurate answer.

Use your choke on cold mornings or when its been sitting for a while. That's why it is there. Let it run for a couple of mins in your drive way with the choke off then ride it gently for the first 5-10kms and your bike should be warmed up fine.
  8. I start the bike with the choke on, helmut and gloves on, left glove on first if the monday is an odd numbered day. Then choke off and ride away.

works well for me.
  9. OK I can accept your mistrust of Yahoo but you should have a looong chat with professional engine tuners on the merits of overuse of the choke and I suspect you will find Yahoo VERY correct in their advice.

Most of us old farts learned that in the 60's on difficult to start Pommie bikes, but then what would we know? :)
  10. I use it every time I start the bike, and for no longer than 10 seconds. As soon as the revs rise the choke can go off. I'm not advocating leaving it running on the choke for 10 minutes.
  11. sometimes choke is imperitive, or else the bike wont even start. :cry:
  12. I've tried to start the cold engine with and without the choke. It starts well any way.
    Without the choke it is idling at about 800 rpm without any noticeable rpm change.
    With the choke it goes to about 2000 rpm and then slowly dropping to about 1000 rpm, revs are always changing 1000 - 1200 rpm. If I turn the choke off engine stalls even if I do it slowly.

So, since it starts well without the choke I better just idle it for 2 - 3 minutes and ride off being gentle with the throttle
  13. I think one reason for warming a bike up is to let the oil pump put oil in places where it is needed. Especially the top end.
  14. Which should happen within 1 or 2 seconds not 5 minutes :)
  15. Thank you Chris! :)
  16. Put a bit of Metho in the tank to absorb the condensation, Sync your carbs, Tune your motor, Change your spark plugs, Check your valve settings, Use good and the right fuel, and LEARN a bit about the machine you ride.

It is not a childs toy and requires intelligence to make it run well.

I Start my FZ1 in Mid winter without a choke (carby version) I hold the throttle until it will run on its own and leave it idle until the fan kicks in "MID BLOODY WINTER"

Learn a bit about your bloody bikes and they will reward you big time or take up knitting. :grin:
  17. It depends on the bike. I started riding on an old gpz250 that had a weak oil pump and if not treated properly the top end would self destruct. The advice was to ride about 15k before opening it up and never ride less than 15k cause if the oil didn't get all through the top end before you stopped there would be bits without oil that would wear next time you started.
  18. +1
    Modern engines in good condition using a good synthetic oil, ( I use Motul 5100 with ester), should require no more than a few seconds to lubricate most components. The only time I'd give it more time would be if the bike had not been started in over a week, and even that wouldn't need more than 10-15 sec before it's safe to rev.
    my 2c
  19. the cb400 idles at 2000rpm on start for about 30sec before it gets warm, where it drops to 1400rpm.

starts with one tick of the starter motor every time.