Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Warming up a bike - best method?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Ljiljan, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Firstly, before the search function nazi's get their head in here, I used it and could only find one thread and it wasn't very conclusive.

Sooo, this is one of those subjects where for every good method of doing it there is 1000 different opinions for how to do it.

So, please, if you are just going to tell how you warm your bike up, but don't know if it's better or worse and why, then do try and refrain from replying and let others who do know have the floor.

I know the basics of oil pressure and bearing rings etc, and wondering what is the best method of warming a bike up without doing damage from under warming or over warming (if such thing exists).

2. cheers mate, found the first not the second. and both threads are pretty much just peoples standard practise, a wide range of responses, explicitly what I did not want. Just a brief concise answer from someone that knows their motors. ie, is it best to idle for few min, gradually increase revs for short period, blip throttle for a bit etc. Was speaking to one guy who would blip his cold engine up to around 10k every couple seconds :shock:
  3. Start, drive off....reduce choke asap.
    These days with EFI just start and go.
  4. Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke??
  5. Best way is to start it and let it idle. Most modern bikes have cold start built into the ECU.
    While your waiting put on your helmet and gloves. All warm all good.
  6. It really is that easy.
  7. EFI - Start bike, put on gear, back out, idle drops to normal, don't ride hard for a couple of minutes.
  8. This is my manual for a choke bike....
    I'd say manufacturer would be well knowleged on their product.
    But, I've never needed to use more than half the choke on cold starts in middle of winter, put on helmet and gloves, take off and turn it off a block or two away from home.
    EFI would be pretty much start and go but as geeth has stated...

Attached Files:

9. The idea of warming up your motor is simple.
    First, it allows the oil to get up to pressure, which in turn lubricates your motor. do not blip your throttle, as this allows your motor to rev before the oil is through your motor. resulting in chronic wear of your internal parts.
    Cold and hot parts running together need lubrication.
    Start your motor and let it idle. by the time you have your gear on, it should be warm enough to ride,
    take it easy for the first couple of miles, to allow the heat to soak through your motor.
    do this and you will have years of trouble free riding.
  10. Turn bike on - finish smoke - put gear on ( left glove first ) - ride off - avoid high revs till the bike hits 3 bars on my temp gauge.
  11. start bike
    put on jacket
    put in ear plugs
    put on helmet
    put on left glove
    put on right glove
    get on bike
    ride gently until it's up to temp on the dash
  12. Put it in a preheated oven @ 180 degrees for 20 minutes or until tender.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Gold.
  14. Put on sunnies and safety sneakers, get on bike, open throttle, hold down starter button, once engine kicks over bounce it off the limiter for 5-10 seconds to impress neighbours, slam transmission into gear, take off hard and try to power wheelie down the street. Two to three months later blame the previous owner for the fact it's now blowing smoke and the top-end is rattling like a bunch of spanners in a tin bucket. Sell it to a wrecker for a slab of VB.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Start your bike and let it warm by idling. Since bikes don't have a seperate fluid for the transmission like cars do, simply starting it and driving away is not so good. Start it up on the choke and put your gear on so by the time you're finished the oil is warmed up enough so your transmission doesn't receive as much wear. If it's cold don't blip, as said before the oil is too viscous when cold to pump it properly at pressure Just wind the throttle on and hold it at a few thousand revs then wind it slowly off again.
  16. Sorry to hijack, but I've been letting the bike idle till the 35degrees come up on the dash. After reading the thread, I don''t need to do that anymore and can just ride straight away after I start and have all the gear on?
  17. I wish people read the first post before replying :cry:
  18. if you wait long enough, global warming will take care of it :LOL:
  19. thanks for sharing my pain, mate.