Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

War on drugs, right or wrong?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by smileedude, Apr 3, 2012.

1. I don't think I've seen this discussed on netrider before.

Are drugs being illegal making the problem far worse than it could be?

Would crime be seriously reduced in this country if legal enterprise undercut drug dealers and manufacturers?

Would overdoses be reduced if drugs were produced legally in regulated commercial facilities?

Would overdoses be reduced if people didn't have to hide their habits?

Would the economy benefit from the increased revenue from taxing drug producers?

Would more people throw their lives away to drugs or does the current huge illegal supply mean someone would become a 'Junky' regardless of the law?

Would legalisation of drugs mean that there will be a whole lot of cops sitting around with nothing better to do than pick on motorbikes?

Should the government Fuck off and stop trying to tell people what they can put into their own bodies?

2. I agree with Bob Carr (and all the other experts in the field).

Unfortunately, human nature being what it is, the conservatives can't see past their fear-based world view. Drugs are bad m'kay.
  3. I'm interested to hear the netrider conservatives perspective on this. As riders we are all of the opinion that it is up to the individual to judge acceptable risk. So I am not to sure if many people will take a position against this.
  4. "The only part of conduct of any one, for which he is amenable to society, is that which concerns others. In the part, which merely concerns himself, his independence is, of right, absolute. Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign."

J.S. Mill
  5. Undoubtedly

I think so

Almost certainly

I don't think so. Do you know anyone who'd like to take drugs but doesn't because they're illegal?

I don't take any drugs, nor do I regularly associate with people who do. but I'd bet I could score some quickly and easily if I decided I wanted to.

Anyone who wants drugs can already get them. I don't think theres a significant number of people who'd rush out and start using if it was made legal.

And you left out a question:
  6. Cheers Damo,

7. Meanwhile this makes me angry:

How about a press release that says:

Voting rigidly on party lines is an atrocious concept
  8. Was this before or after half a pint of shandy?

But seriously, all that the criminalisation of drugs seems to have achieved is to maximise the income of an awful lot of criminals and to protect the profits of the booze companies who basically have a legislated oligopoly on people getting out of their heads. Which seems to be a fairly basic human need, given that pretty much every culture I can think of has developed a means of doing it quite early on.
  9. How many former or current illicit drug users here. Any addicts?

Why is alcohol so much more acceptable than pot, or ecstasy? What about cigarettes?
  10. Just thinking about half a pint of shandy makes me particularly ill.
  11. I smoked pot very occasionally a long time ago.
    I used to have friends who used a variety of drugs regularly.
  12. Alcohol is a legal drug but people overdose on it regularly.

The argument that drug use is an individual choice is only partly valid, I think. Just like I don't want to be on the road with drunk drivers I don't want to have drugged drivers around me either.

Having said all that I still haven't made up my mind on the legalisation question, and I'm probably one you'd call a conservative.
  13. Portugal has done a little bit, and yes with great success. But the sale, manufacture and importation side is still illegal. So they are still in effect in a war against drugs. Decriminalisation of possession would be an important first step. But the benefits from actually creating a legalised regulated drug industry are hard to argue against.
  14. Any responses you get will be a small percentages I suspect. Most drug users are pretty hesitant to fess up to strangers.

Alcohol and cigarettes are more acceptable simply because they are legal.

Conservatives tend to dislike ambiguity and shades of grey. Nice, simple, back and white rules suit them.
  15. I think the question you need to ask to get a realistic answer is how many netriders have never taken an illicit drug?
  16. Nothing that I'm going to admit in detail on a work internet connection :wink:. As for acceptability, a short game of follow-the-money provides some hints as to the answers.
  17. That's not a valid argument against drug use.

It's a valid argument against driving while under the influence.
    and we already have laws covering that
  18. I'm honestly in two minds about this, while still (I guess) representing a conservative view on Netrider.

I think the crux of it is, what is declared to be illegal, and why? Obviously my default position is support the rule of law and its proper exercise, but who decided that drugs are illegal, but cigarettes and alcohol, both as damaging, are not?

Criminal behaviour being what it is (I work in a Behaviour School environment where it's the norm among our students) if something becomes legal, it loses its allure, and they will move on to another enterprise wherein they can make money from people's misery without paying taxes or obeying social norms.

And despite the above Portugal example, the constant worry is "What if decriminalising DOESN'T work? How do you unscramble the egg?"

I strongly suspect that whatever is done, there are enough people whose character needs the rush that drugs bring that there will always be a market, there will always be deaths and there will always be people with criminal intent to exploit the weaknesses and dependencies of others.....
  19. When I first heard this on the news my immediate thought was that the war on drugs is right and illicit drugs should remain illegal.

But the more I think about it the less certain I am.

Prohibition didn't work, but that was slightly different because they made a previously legal substance illegal.

Logic tells me that if something is legal then it can be controlled. But, the use of motor vehicles is legal, and heavily controlled, yet people still die. Tabacco is legal, yet there is still quite a lucrative market in illegal tabacco.

Basically, I don't know.