Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wanting to add custom handlebars. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Vulcanise, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hi folks,

I'm looking at putting some medium ape hangers on my VN900 custom and I'm wondering if anyone else has experience changing handlebars. It looks like I need to buy them in from the US. I'm after something like this:

Got any tips/stories to tell?

Thanks in advance.

2. Make sure they're the right diameter of tube. Most non-American bikes have 7/8". Most H-Ds, many real Triumphs and, I suspect, a lot of Japanese H-D clones, have 1". Check your existing bars before ordering. Obviously a lot of bars from the US will be intended for H-Ds so will be 1" unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Chances are you'll need longer cables and brake lines. Others here will be better able to advise where you can get custom items made up. Shouldn't cost you much more than stock replacements. Indeed, given Kawasakis spares pricing policy, you might well get them cheaper. It's worth getting a second set of cables made up as spares to save delays if you break one in the future.

It would be worth having a second set of handgrips on hand, in case you can't get the old ones off without destroying them.

The ADRs state that the lowest point of the handgrips must be no more than 300 mm above the lowest point of the seat (I think it's 300mm anyway, so best check on the DoTaRS website). I see lots of bikes that ignore this, but it's worth bearing in mind if you want to stay 100% legal or need a roadworthy.

I think that covers most of it.
  3. Thanks Pat. Much appreciated advice there!

Does anyone know of a good place in the Melbourne area for custom work like this? I've spoken with Peter Stevens and they're happy to do it but it sounds like they don't do much customising.
  4. What size are your current bars, The ones in the piccy are 1 inch, So you will need to change your risers from the triple tree to make them fit,
    Just getting the longer hydrualic cables is no problem, extending the electric cables is the hard part, just takes a bit of time,