Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wanted: The impossible - A semi-formal motorcycle jacket

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by LineNoise, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Ok...this is probably asking the impossible.

A friend of mine is getting married next year and wants to do the wedding on bikes up in the Snowy Mountains.

What we are looking for is whether anyone makes a formal/semi-formal motorcycle jacket?

Yeah, it's pretty much the impossible. All I can come up with is some sort of leather frock coat.

Anyone got any ideas? I've got a friend who can do some of the stuff if she's given enough time but full jackets are beyond her sowing machines capabilities due to the thickness of the leather used.

They're going pretty all out on this thing but we'd want to keep costs to a maximum of $1500 a jacket and probably ~$2000 a person with a waistcoat.
  2. Hmmmm. maybe one of Kel's leather bomber jackets?
  3. For that kind of cash I would have thought that some of the manufacturers advertising on here would do almost anything you asked. I imagine a normal jacket, cut straighter (i.e. less taper in the waist) and slightly longer than usual.

Straight black jacket, single covered zip, bow tie and dress shirt underneath - looks the goods
  4. I think the two are mutually exclusive. Why not go to a tailor, get a black tie and ride the last few kms in that? Then, you could recycle it.
    Don't think there'll be many occasions where you can go leather-black tie.
    $2000 gets you a reasonable suit. :)
  5. Having said that, you can get away with more in a Tigerangel Guardian suit in Nubuck sans TA panels and reflectors.
  6. Thinking the exact same thing.

For that sort of cash, talk to Tiger Angel, they should be able to suggest something.
  7. it sounds more like they want it to be a unique wedding more than just a safety thing. thats the impression that i get anyways.

i sent a pm, hopefully craig at rmgear will be able to help out. its a cool idea, i'd like to see it done for sure :D
  8. Why not get an armoured mesh jacket, then rent a tuxedo jacket a size or so larger than normal as well as the regular one, and simply put the jacket over the mesh one?
  9. Just an idea, but Underdog Leathers, have a great new jacket called the crossover, very classy looking, full armour, and doesnt look like a motorcycle jacket.

(Woops, thanks Josh)