Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wanted request for classic racer restoration

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by hornet, Dec 10, 2011.

1. As some of you know, my brother is restoring a 1980s Coca Cola 800 race bike, originally built by some of the CRRC guys. I got this message from him today, asking for some help, so I though I'd put it up on the most knowledgeable forum on the 'Net :LOL:

One of the things that we desperately need to finish off the Shadowfax project is a fairing. The original fairing was a modified Moto Martin item as seen in the picture below (it was modified slightly). Unfortunately, it was destroyed in the Bathurst accident and the bike ran as a naked bike for the rest of its life. I want to restore to original condition (as you all know) so I want to refit a fairing that resembles as closely as possible, the original Moto Martin item.

I've contacted a race team in Britain who still race Moto Martin bikes and they can supply me with a replica fairing, but the price, plus the cost of shipping, makes it an horrendously expensive undertaking so I'm turning to my forum friends to see if anybody knows where I can get one locally. We need to take a mold from it so we can make our own. We would take extraordinarily good care of it, obviously and it would be returned to the owner in identical condition.

If you can help, please contact either me or Paul and let us know. Any help would be gratefully received.

Here's what it looked like, it was the classic two-headlight fairing.

I KNOW this is strictly a 'Wanted to Buy' but I think the racing Forum is a good place for it.
  2. If it were me I would be wondering around the pits at Eastern Creek in March at The Barry Sheene asking questions,has be asked at Moto Tumbi or the fairing place near the end of the M2 out past Wentworthvilli,they have some realy oddball molds including the TT Montegi Laverda fairing which everyone though was gone for good.
  3. Problem is, and I'm not saying that's not a good idea, I want to have the bike on display, complete, at the Barry Sheene.
  4. I have a feeling (could be wrong though) that I saw a very similar bike to this at Peter Stevens in Melbourne today. They have a section of restored and non-restored bikes for sale and I did see a bike that looked similar to the one in the picture.
    Give em' a buzz and see.

5. The place I was on about near Wentworthvilli is Handcrafted Fiberglass,96743586
    They have a lot of molds,good luck getting it done by March.Be nice to see it at the creek,I hear Croz is going again
  6. I've contacted Handcraft and they can't help me I'm afraid. I will give Peter Stevens a bell and see what the story is with that bike, thanks.
  7. Email the PCRA and ask them to put it out to their members.
  8. Actually, that's a great idea. I talk to Higgsy all the time on FB, should have thought of that, thanks.
  9. Thanks for the great suggestions, guys. I now have several lines of enquiry all of which are looking very promising. I'll let you know how it works out.
  10. Cool, hope you find what you're after :beer:
  11. If the old adage is true that if it looks good it will go good then this bike was in a bit of trouble, certainly not the prettiest thing on the track but good luck.
  12. For a homebrew it was pretty quick, baz. If the co-rider hadn't ear'oled it on left-handers like he was told not to, and ground through the alternator cover and cost the bike a couple of hours in the pits 'til someone loaned them one off a street bike, they might well have run a major place in the Coca Cola.....
  13. From The Laverda Forum
    Cico Kralj in Oroslavje near Zagreb Croatia,mobile number 00385 98 507469
    He only speaks German,he sells half fairing with perspex,tank and seat for Moto Martins
    500 Euros,he has the molds
    Shipping will be expensive I expect
  14. Youch, that's even more expensive than getting them from Rob Beale in the UK. Thanks for the lead, Zim, but I'll have to pass on this one. :(