Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Want to upgrade from NSW P2(Auto) license to manual i.e. scooter --> bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by shodan, Jun 19, 2012.

  1. Hi there, first time poster long time lurker.

    Last week while I was at work some dingus knocked over my beloved scooter (2010 SYM VS 150) and it's been written off, and I want to take the plunge and get a motorbike. The choice is either to wait ~18 months for my P2 to clock over to full bike license or take a course now, which I want to do.

    Does anyone know the best way for me to do so? I was hoping you guys could help me out rather than spending forever waiting at the RTA for an answer tomorrow.

    I realllly hope this is the right forum (i did check for others) - pls don't delete! :)
  2. NSW? Just book you P test at the RMS, and use a Motorcycle to do it, which should get rd of the Auto annotation.

    Are you sure? Scooters are awesome, I had a Sym mio 100, and rocked it to 55 on the southern cross drive, you could pick up a nice Kymco, or Kimchee. Keep your shopping on the hook and sht.

    good luck love.
  3. You sure you're restricted to auto on your P2 licence? I was under the belief that it only applies to your P1 licence.
  4. Yup you have to re-do the relevant test on a manual.

    My understanding is that you continue to be restricted to an auto even after your p's - correct me if i am wrong (this is the internet after all)
  5. RTA website says you're restricted to auto until you get your unrestricted licence
  6. why did you do it on an auto to begin with?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. you will have to resit the P's test, if i was you i would rent a bike (a guy at my most test got a little bolini thing from sydneymotorcyclenetwork or something like that, i think they advertise on here, cheaper than HARTs costs for renting a VTR) with manual gears so you can practise for a few days then go for your P's, the Ps test involves a fair bit of clutch slipping and friction point holding so you might need a fair bit of practise before your smooth enough to do the most test, i think you fail if you stall dont you?
  8. Dude if you have a P2 licence you are no longer restricted by transmission you got the P1 licence on. Same rule as a car. not sure what everyone else is on about:
    Provisional P1 riders must:-Only ride automatic motorcycles unless a test is passed on a manual motorcycle.

    Provisional P2 riders must: its not there!!

    Also see this:http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/motorcycle_riders_handbook.pdf

    Should of read this anyway........
    • Like Like x 2
  9. I have provided two lots of evidence.

    OP - check your licence, does it have anything else apart from P2?
  10. You asked what others were going on about, I provided the link as to what I was referring to.

    If it was me, I'd be speaking to the RTA to confirm.
  11. I'm glad someone knows what they are talking about.

    If you really want to be sure, check your license conditions, automatic should not be there.