Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Want to ride but not sure??

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by prav, Apr 19, 2010.

1. hey guys new to this forum
    a few things
    i do not know how many WEEKS i have spent on here reading,learning and researching. its added heaps to my bike "knowledge" and future prefences(although im dont get half of the technical stuff...soon i hope) once i get i job ill becom i member haha
    ohk well ive got a big question:
    im 15 and a half and in nsw
    and im wondering when most of u
    1. did the pre learner course,
    2. got ur learner rider licence (aprrently u can get it at 16 and 9mnths)
    3. finally got ur L's
    ive read people sneaking out of the house to practice ride - people a year older
    (without a drivers licence - any car experience watsoever)
    i noe people that started after they got their drivers licence
    and so on
    so is it stupid to start at the 16 yr 9 months mark?
    or shuld i wait a while, after school? atleast with my driver L's (idnt like this option, personally i want to be out there now)

secindly ive heard of riding naked, (bike that is) 8-[
    but umm didnt really get that? :-s
    is there a guide somewhere on how to dismantle/remove fairings in this forum somwhere
    like i sed im not too gud with the tecnhical aspects

ps im considering a gpx as my first bike, although i REEEEAAALLLY want a ninja. and i dnt noe much about insurance, other than- for me, if i start now, itll probly be mor than a brand new cbr600 fireblade per year
    thanks heaps guys
    sorry if i sound really stupid in wat i say
    great website keep it ups
  2. Hey Prav :)

no question is stupid, trust me. we've all thought them or asked them once or many times before!

I got my car L's when I was a month after I was legally allowed. I only got my P's this year. (I'm turning 23 this year!)... you can tell I'm not fussed to have my fulls.

I got my bike in November 2006 (19 yrs old), and then I got my license in January 2007.

I've been riding ever since! It all felt completely right. I guess you'll find out at the course - it's a two (half) days course, and if you're feeling like you know what you're doing by the end of it to a degree and feel comfortable, I say GO FOR IT!

Not stupid to start as early as you can whatsoever, however, I do recommend a month or two of driving a car prior if you can around backstreets. Having the experience in a manual car and being able to compare the two really helped me.

Naked bike vs fairing bike vs bikini fairing. It's all to do with the fairing, correct, but a lot of bikes come without the fairing, it's how they're made.

My bike is a naked (the green one below), and my new bike is bikini fairing (the yellow one below), and the last one is full fairing (the black one)... check all the differences in how you can fully see the engine and other pieces, then half see it, then not see it at all. For a first bike, a lot of people prefer to get bikini fairing as it's MUCH cheaper to repair if you drop it.

Lastly, in terms of what bikes you're actually allowed, check out the lams list:

(if you're in nsw) http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/motorcycleridertrainingscheme/motorcyclesnoviceriders.html

Otherwise, google "lams approved bikes (then followed by state).

Welcome to the forum, and don't hesitate to ask more Q's :)

Take care,

Attached Files:

3. Welcome To NR and enjoy the ride.

Cheers Paul.
  4. good to see you done your homework Holly, you know your stuff :)

prav, my advice to you is never rush into things, you have your whole life ahead of you, take your time, do your homework, and when the time is right, go get your L's and bike and start learning all the safety aspects of riding

cheers bud

oh, and welcome :)
  5. Ta Goz, I've been in the bike scene for a while now and I ALWAYS do my research when it comes to sexy machines!!
  6. yea thanks guys
    i guess thats right, my parents are laughing it off anyway
    so i guess ive got a few years to save up and convince them...
    maybe i could buy a really rundown, pretty much un-rideable bike just to tinker around with and get some mechanical experience
    im sure my dad would be fine with that
    and thanks for the support and for clearing the fairings thing!
  7. No, don't buy something run down whatever you do.

Buy something reliable, probably aiming to spend $3,000 - $5000 for something to suit your needs, plus you'll need all the gear - jacket, pants, boots, helmet and some gloves. Winter riding requires Winter gloves (otherwise you freeeeezzzeee!!)...

If you sit down with your parents and ask if you pay half half, I'm sure they'd be willing if you also go and do an advanced riders course after you've got your L's. Parents need compromise and basically if you reason with them that you'll be wearing all your gear at all times, only ride in good conditions (and maybe certain days if they're still unsure)... if needs be, for the first 10 rides or so ask your parents to ride behind you.

With fairings - what's the difference apart from the look and the cost? Basically, it's the wind. Full fairings reduce the wind on your legs and bikini fairings don't - however, on a learner bike, I can pretty much assure you won't be getting to speeds that require the fairings and if you do, I've done it. You get used to it and it's not like it blows you off, it just won't go *as* fast, basically... but on a learner bike... we can't go that fast anyways!
  8. Welcome to Netrider; looks like the bug has bitten, you'll enjoy the ride.

As someone else said, there's no such thing as a silly question; ask away (y).
  9. Well, something like 'How many wheels does a motorbike have?' or 'How smelly is your motorbike seat?'...... that would be a silly question :D

10. u havnt done your research on me then :D:shock:
  11. :shock:

what must i do to fix this!?!? :p
  12. Prav,

The dumbest question is the one that isn't asked.

Motorcycles will make a "Man" out of you!

Google "Motard".

Do you/have you ride/ridden a push bike regularly?