Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Want to be a Mormon?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by goz, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Why they need to advertise is beyond me, fair dinkum

2. I could tell you, but it would probably start an unholy row ....
  3. So the big question is magic Mormon underpants tops or bottoms on first?
  4. I'd be interested in the reason Hornet.

I found Steve's vid engaging, having met him a dozen times - it was true to life. He used to get disparaged for being a Scientologist - I guess the vid puts paid to that!
  5. Tbh they're pretty good ads.
    There is a definite need to advertise. High density living diminishing the tratitional door knocking campaigns...

And really, who would come to the conclusion that spiritual under ware is a good idea.
    Humans are rational and don't reach these conclusions without influence.
  6. Mormonism is under pressure in the US because of the increasingly crazy activities of its splinter groups who continue to practice polygamy and other illegal activities. The mainstream 'church' is trying to distance itself from these people and re-establish its reputation as a clean-cut, family-orintated organisation.
  7. And the $ sign
  8. I find that interesting. Why do you consider the fundamentalist splinter groups to be crazy? The Mormon Church and LDS are also splinter groups of the wider Catholic faith. They're all crazy in their own special way.

They advertise for the same reason as any other organisation. To attract new members and increase profit. I think this style of ad is very effective. Scientology has been using it for a while.

You're generally more interested/curious when you don't know what is being sold.
    It's positive, general and farmiliar content.
    The message hits you at the end to leave you thinking 'maybe they're not crazy after all...'

I won't be signing up in a hurry but i definitly admire their marketing strategy.
  9. #10 Wolve, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    No, it isn't.

The Reorganised Chirst of Jesus Christ (known now as "Community of Christ" - the one referrenced as polygamists) is known in the US for all the wrong reasons. Though it claims the same beginnings it is not mistaken for the modern Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (colloquially known as "Mormons") however it is often referred to in Mormon bashing exercises as an easy way to muddy the water.

You may find the history of the church and Joseph Smith an interesting read.
  10. Mormons were never catholics, they are broken prots, not that it matters, they are all heretics to us ortho's who are the true lot.
  11. Blessed are the Greek, for they shall inherit a massive national debt :)
  12. #13 Wolve, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    To be precise, the gospel according to the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints follows the King James version of the Bible along with additional scripture found in the Book of Mormon (hence the nick name). They are not and never have been an off shoot of the Roman Catholic Church. It is no secret that they are a prosciliting faith which means they are instructed to spread the gospel. It is unsurprising that they would be using modern communication and media methods to further this pursuit.

It is typical of Morman bashing to make claims about profit by the church but I don't see their leaders living in palaces driving around cars made of gold. Nor are they run under the banner of nepotism. You may well find it interesting to read up on the welfare program the church runs and dig a little deeper into the persecution of it's members in the last two hundred years.
    Everybody is crazy in their own way, but please stick to the facts.
  13. I love a debate on Religion. Who wants to be the first to prove they're right?
  14. Mormons hunt in packs and always come to the door when I'm in my underpants. To find that annoying isnt Mormon bashing is it?
  15. Yup, the first religion who's bloke can walk from here to Tassie wins.
  16. Pfft, the flying spaghetti monster doesn't need to advertise.
  17. If by the term "packs" you mean a pair (as LDS missionaries always travel in pairs), and by the term "hunt" you mean looking for anyone willing to listen to them, then that is true. It would also be true if you always wore only your underpants when at home, but then anyone knocking on the door would find this also. There are many annoying people in the world but wouldn't it be nice to be able to say, "no thank you" and have them all go away as you would find with a pair of LDS missionaries?

Can't say the same for telemarketers.
  18. I'm glad you got my point. Even if someone did rise from the grave, two thousand years later no one would believe it anyway...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.