Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Want the job? Please hand over your facebook name and password.

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Mar 21, 2012.

1. http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/its-akin-to-requiring-someones-house-keys-employers-ask-job-seekers-for-facebook-passwords-20120321-1vioi.html

There seems to be a bit more incursion into the private life of employees lately...

2. Fortuitously I don't have a Facebook account so that'll fuck em.

3. Me either.

4. But will you even get an interview, if they can't check you out?

5. I refuse to have either a facebook or twitter account and I would not give anyone my email account passwords. Would they like to screen snail mail as well?

That said, I've worked for the same company for over 31 years and I don't see myself changing employers any time soon.

6. yet another reason to stay way from intrusive rubbish like Facebook and Twitter et al

7. The employers shouldnt be absolved of their bid for unreasonable privacy breaches.

The fools will say: if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.

8. awesome. They can help me answer the wtf does that mean PM's that I never know what to write back to.

9. I went off and stormed out of an interview when they asked about my marital status many years ago - a request like this would surely see me arrested...

10. A few years ago when i started working with a company i was so fed up of the branch manager giving me a "friendly heads up" about what i discussed in my facebook account and "how he always found out what was written so watch out i can use it as evidence in court" talks, i changed my privacy statement to public (after changing all my personal info of course) walked into his office and told him he could gather all the evidence he wanted!! Also wished him All the very best for his Court Case, that magically shut him up about facebook for the next three years, which is when i finally left the workplace!!

11. I can understand companies complaining about what you post publicly (i.e. if your Facebook profile is set to public) but asking for your login details is a massive invasion of privacy. Ultimately, what you say to your friends is your own business, they are after all your friends. Next thing they will be asking for access to your personal email to check you haven't badmouthed your company to your friends.

There are certain circumstances where I can understand this information is warranted (secret service, national intelligence) but those are extreme circumstances and those who go for that type of job are well aware of the security clearance requirements that they go through.

12. I have this forum and one other. I'm not on facebook or any of the other major networking sites. This sort of thing is only one of the many problems I have with them.

13. #13 jag131990, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Haha. I don't have facebook either and never will. I prefer my life to be private and enjoy the satisfaction I get by discussing and learning of the events in others life's in face to face conversation rather than read all about it on the interwebs. Of course though I have a mobile and use it as medium to keep in contact.

I'm not long off becoming a graduate so keeping everything professional too can't be a bad thing

14. Well, as I see it, you've got a few options.

First is, as others have said, not to use social networking.

Second is not to apply for jobs with intrusive employers or, if you do, stick to your guns and tell them to fuck off if you feel your privacy is invaded. Not particularly easy if you really need that job, but here in Australia, with an unemplyment rate ~5%, how many people (as a proportion of the population) are really going to be in that situation? (and I ask that having been in desperate need of employment in the not so very distant past myself). The US is a bit different right now and their employment practices have always been pretty questionable by civilised standards.

Third is to lie to your potential employer. Yeah, sure, they might go hunting for your Facebook page or whatever, but then they might not. Even if they do, how easy to find are you, for people who don't already know you? A common name might give them thousands of names to search through, a pseudonym would cause them problems. How hard are they really going to search? Realistically? How about an innocuous dummy page? Hell, even a fairly low level of deception should be adequate. We're talking about HR departments with limited time and interest, not fucking Interpol here. What they could find out and what they will bother to find out are two very different things.

Bottom line is that your employer only needs to know what you choose to tell them. Contrary to what some might claim, they have no automatic right to information about you and they are not omniscient.

15. Its a valid point. How do they really prove its you if you have a strange picture that isn't actually you? There could be plenty of people with the same name. Better yet, change the city and they'll really be hard pressed to prove it. Just remember to change your picture to a random one prior to any job interviews.

16. The is just one face of the fact that the US lets companies **** employees without repercussion. Facebook isn't exactly to blame for that. I'd rather focus on not reaching that point here tbh~

17. I don't understand why people feel the need to put so much personal information online where you can't get it back and it lasts forever??? Years ago you'd go on a footy trip, etc and someone would take some silly drunk photo of you, but the worst that might happen is that it would get passed around to a few people. So, ok, no harm done.

What really pissed me off is when I was on Facebook and one of my work colleagues (a facebook "friend" not a real proper friend) posted photos of our drunken Xmas party on Facebook with me in them and them and didn't even ask for my permission!!! What is with people! Ok, so she wasn't the smartest cookie going around. But any idiot can see the ramifications of that, surely? Something about your reputation? Photos you can never get back??

So, bang, that was it. I hardly used the site anyway so I closed my account 12 months ago. Now, if I want to actually see my "real" friends I have to contact them and catch up in person for a beer, in a real pub!

I don't have to worry about people looking at photos of me or worrying about people stealing my identity or employers stalking me.

I predict that good old fashioned privacy will be the next cool thing to indulge in and instead of putting 194 photos of your holiday to Bali on Facebook to bore your "internet friends", you'll actually print them out and put them in an album for your "real friends" to view.

So, everyone without a Facebook page is already a pioneer in the new, hip world of conspicuous privacy! ;)

18. My simple response would be to tell them to go fuck themselves and walk out. What I say to my friends and family is my business and not of any concern to a prospective employer.

19. Yup. The fact that no one actually went to jail for what happened in the global financial crisis is proof.

The US is the classic example of capitalism taken to the extreme where you can buy whatever legislation you want.

If BHP were based in the US they would have been able to buy a mining super profit tax reduction.

20. Oh my God, the holier than thou comments are rife again.

Seriously, **** off to a knitting forum.