Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Want longer lasting Sachs?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Chairman, Sep 30, 2008.

1. I lurve my MV - the reddest, hottest, sexiest machine ever to flow from Tamburini's pen. As a road-eating weekend machine, it's hard to beat. And latte tastes best when served with 127hp at the crank.

But for the day-to-day grind, the Brute isn't the most commute-friendly. The low-rmp fuel map is lumpy - leading to surging at low speed and outrageous fuel consumption.

With a desperate lack of single-cylinder machines in the shed (I was down to my last thumper) I decided to snap up a cheap commuter ride - a 50cc Sachs Madass for $1350. Gotta' love Ebay.

With an investment in some after-market parts, I've lifted its top speed from 60km/h to 80 km/h (find me another bike that delivers a 30% power increase for a $300 outlay!) - which makes it perfect for my daily run from Laverton to Kew - 30km of arterial & city traffic each way. I think there's another 10 km/h to be tapped with some rejetting and, perhaps, a free-er breathing exhaust. As it stands, at about 30km/l at WOT or 40km/l at suburban speeds, I'm coughing up the princely sum of $3 (compared to the MV's $8) in fuel each day.

So what's my view of the Madass? To begin, it looks hot. Mine's the stealth-black model. I've seen them described as a "a mountain bike on steroids" and that's about right. I took it for a run on the farmer's goat tracks out the back of Werribee and the big wheels handled the trip just fine - despite gravel and potholes that threatened to swallow it whole. Admittedly, an indicator did fall off, but I was planning to ditch them anyway to save weight. Just kidding. I got rid of them 'coz they use a weird-ass European globe made from purest unobtainium.

On the arterial road, it keeps up with peak hour traffic (before the modifications, doing 60 in a 80 zone was a little hair-raising). If you were inclined to lanesplit (insert health and safety warning here), the low weight and slim design of the Madass would be of benefit. The widest part of this bike is my middle-aged gut.

Like 125GP racers, the Madass is an exercise in enery management. Once you've built up a head of steam, your concentration focuses on staying off the brake and keeping your momentum. I now have some idea of what it's like to ride a never-brake-for-corners machine. Being small and flickable, it is tempting to dodge in and out of traffic, changing lanes or diving into gaps to avoid having to slow down.

The seating position is bicycle-like, and it's a stretch to the bars. Not uncomfortable but coupled with soft front springs and vicious front brake, the bike feels like it's doing a stoppy every time you grab a handful. Replacing the 5W fork oil with 20W and an extra 20cc in each leg solved that.

Does it make sense? Assuming that the Madass gets used 4 days a week over 40 weeks of the year, that's a saving of $800. Subtract the extra CTP I'm paying and we've saved $700-ish. But the real saving is in depreciation on the Brutale - a bike I plan to keep enjoying for a looong time. Even if I buy a new motor for the Sachs every 2 years ($240!!) suspect that I'm still ahead.

I took it on a 200km round trip over the weekend. The buzzing of the small motor gets a little tiring and the seating position doesn't lend itself to cruising - taller bars would be handy. On the upside, you do see a lot of the countryside at 70kph. Riding the Brutale through Rockbank, I'd seen large brown blurs in the paddocks. Once you're on the Madass, it turns out that they are cows. Cool!

Clearly, touring isn't what Sachs had in mind when they designed the Madass. But, as a cheap and cheerful city commuter, with a touch of urban assault vehicle, the Madass is hard to beat.

2. That's a gold review, Chairman. :LOL:

Anything in particular which drew you to the 50cc vs the (admittedly much chunkier) 125?

3. Thanks Chairman :LOL:

I do feel slightly mislead though, I was hoping to find out about some nasal delivery technologies when I opened this thread.

4. About $1200 difference in second hand price.

5. Hehe these things are wicked.. Thats cheap as, i might consider one in the future for fart arsing around town.

Good read too.

6. Get a chinese 140-150cc thumper engine for a couple hundred bux. That'll fix the lack o go and should fit as they are nearly all modelled on a Hxxxx CT postie bike engine.
    From past experience I can tell you there's a couple of brands that will last better than others.
    They can even be had in a 3 valve performance version with a seperate oil cooler.

7. Clearly, we need a shootout between the Sachs Madass and a secondhand Honda CT110 Postiebike and... :grin:

8. .......that thing cannot be safe!
    It looks like a push bike with a whipper snipper attatched and some disc brakes....For a little extra you could have gotten something a bit safer :shock:

9. If I knew you were looking for a commuter I would have sold you the SRX :p

10. I've always wanted a madass. What's the fuel consumption ?

11. Chairman, I loved the review :grin: Congratz on the new bike :) ...but there are no pics?!?! sign_pics.

By the way... does work know you're trying to battle traffic without losing momentum?? :-k

Hey Javaman
    :LOL:

12. ...

I said it was tempting. I didn't say that I'd succumbed :wink:

13. Does anybody know the top speed of the 125? before and after mods?

14. nice write up... now they need to seriuosly bring out the big thumper version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Indeed - it certainly makes the commute that much more fun! I've been commuting on my Jog for a few months after I started working closer to the CBD and it has been absolutely ace. I'm travelling on 40, 50 and 60k roads with the exception of Kingsway (but that's crawling along anyway) so no worries about speed (otherwise I'll get my Dragster 180 going). The jog so small and light if the gaps get tight I can get through where a bike (even a 250) will get stuck. Ace!

I can't believe people with sportsbikes bother commuting on their bikes when there are hotted up 50's (scooters and Madasses) around for such little money. Two sets of tyres and two services on a sportsbike will virtually pay for a 50cc scooter with some trickup work done!

16. Update...

I lashed out and spent $2.25 on a wire drill, and opened the main jet out from 0.95mm to 1.00mm. Immediate improvement - I cracked 97km/h on the way to work.

That brings the total spend to $322.25 for a 60% increase in top speed

Spark plug is still a bit grey, so I'll be opening the jet to 1.025mm. Stay tuned for reports. It hurts to have to lay out another $2.25 for a drill, but you don't achieve greatness by being cheap. :grin:

17. First up, awesome review! Reminds me of a review I read somewhere on an old Honda SS50 that somone was flogging around on...the rare 5-speed version too. I can only imagine how much fun it'd be to have a blast around on a micro-machine!

Second...97km/h??? HOT DAMN! Thats impressive, to say the least, for a 50cc bike. Now all you need is a dustbin fairing ($30 in fibreglass mesh and resin plus some stuffing around) and clips-ons...you'll crack the ton in no time if you keep it up :LOL:

Good stuff, eagerly awaiting the 1.025 jet upgrade.

Cheers - boingk

18. Chairmen,

I assume you are aware that main jets have an internal profile (not just a hole) and they are only about $7 anyway.

Maybe when you get close you should by a real one.

19. Years ago, one of my high school teachers told me a story from his youth, back in Holland that involved a Vespa, a long European trip and boring out the main jet with a drill that "looked about right" to open up the jet and give the Vespa some oomph. Not sure how important the profile actually was in that case.

Ibast, is your comment related to atomisation?

20. A long long time ago, a friend of mine had little 2 stroke 125's. His was the RD125LC and he wanted it to go quicker.

Knowing bugger all about 2 stroke tuning didn't stop us. So we took some metal off the head and reprofiled(!) the ports with a bastard file. About 2mm. Mmmm, compression was a bit high, but power was way up. Problem was, the power band was about 50rpm wide. To lower the compression and also lower the ports, we made new base gaskets with silver foil. The thing was just about un-rideable and would melt a piston a week. Easily fixed, we'd take the barrel off and rub it down with a coarse paper.

Poor bike.