Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wandering rear end..

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by TonySV, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Currently looking at purchasing another Bandit to replace the one I wrote off 4+ weeks ago..

Test road one yesterday - engine, gear box heaps smoother that my original. No leaks and is in good condition. The only problem I notice was when going through twisty stuff the rear end feels unstable/wobbles.

This never happened with my old Bandit.. The guy who is selling the bike recons its just the tyres need more air..

Could it be the rear suspension is too soft? as the Bandit does have adjustable rear suspension.. Or is it like to be something more serious?

Any advice woulld be great...

Twoup -Mechanically challenged
  2. Check tyre pressure. If that OK.

Suspect Wheel bearing and/or swing arm bearing. Usually the swing arm and wheel bearing show up at higher speeds even in straight line. You get the wobbles. Be careful.

Put bike up on centre stand. Get someone to hold front down and to steady bike.
    Put one hand on front of wheel and one at rear, or top and bottom. See if you can feel any movement. If so bearings.

For swing arm, try to move wheel left/right (sideways.) If movement detected, swing arm bearing.

Best take it to a shop and let them look at it.
  3. Could be a few things.

All the rear linkages should have no play in them.

Could be tyre pressure.

could be a bad rear tyre. (Size, shape, type, worn etc.)

The chain may be adjusted lopsided

It could be a shot rear shock

Check these things.

If any of this is the case (exceot tyre pressure), haggle hard.

If they are OK then I would say the frame is bent or broken. Walk away.

It could also be in the front end, but translates to the rear.

Check the usual there too.
  4. I'm not doubting the accuracy of your experience with this other bandit, but it could simply be how a different bike feels (even if the same make / model). Every bike will feel subtly different, and this subtle difference could make the bike feel less stable and you less comfortable despite nothing wrong.

With that said - definitely check out what the people have said above.
  5. A good observation. Check the tyre profiles of both bikes. A modest difference in tyre profile can have a marked effect on the 'feel' of a bike without it actually being a negative effect, just a difference.
  6. Thanks for the great advice..

I must say I didnt notice any instability in straight line but was only travelling at 80kms..

I will organise another inspection so I can have another ride this time Ill have a run on the freeway to check straight line stability at speed. It will also give me a chance to check the bearings..etc

Boz: You might be right on with it just being a different handling to previous bike.. Just like to cover all bases before parting with my hard earned $$$..

Thanks guys

7. I might be getting ahead of myself here but, check the tire pressure first. It is quite possible the dealer is telling the truth. One has to wonder why he'd send you out with underinflated tires but it's easy to check. If the're low, rectify the problem and take it for another spin.
  8. Also, get someone else to ride it too, just to make sure it's not a subjective judgment. A weave or wobble at 80 kays is not to be trifled with.....