Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wallabies and speed - sounds like another footy story...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by flimflam, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Hey guys i am a newb when it comes to bikes and i am after some guidance from all you well travelled lot. I have a two part question.

1. What happens when you come off at a hundred plus? I know it'd depend on conditions etc but in general, is it just a slide and can jeans and a jacket handle this?
    If you have come off at this speed or more what happened to you? Are you still riding?

2. What happens if you hit a wallaby at this speed, one of the little foot high ones? Is it a guaranteed off? Or do you just make the wallaby/cat/dog/marsupial possum or yowie bounce off your bike? I had a close call with a wallaby but luckily it managed to escape road runner style, running on the spot before it took off.

Apologies if this is in the wrong bit, please move if it is mods.

Happy riding.

2. 1) Jacket and jeans - enjoy your skin grafths. Weather you roll or slide is something that can't really be predicted esp at speeds like that and if your hit. Live or die or perm injuries who knows

2) hitting almost any animal will most likely cause you to crash.

3. Ordinary jeans = bad. (In the CE abrasion test, ordinary jeans burn through in about 0.3 seconds, from memory. Not long at all...)

You really need:
    (1) impact protection; eg: CE foam pads protecting shoulders, elbows, hips, knees... Along with boots that offer good ankle support.

(2) abrasion protection; eg: leather armour or 'Cordura' textile armour, motorcycling gloves, sturdy boots...

4. cheers spots and geeth,

I have a dririder jacket with elbow shoulder and back protection, wouldn't want to test it at too high speeds though. I reckon it'd come apart over 80.

The jeans thing is an eye opener, thanks! Looks like i'll be getting a pair of draggins for the ride home this arvo.

Yeah the wallaby scared the shyte out of me, not much you can do in the territory though...

5. On a bike, vs any animal, its not going to end well.

Consider a wallaby weighs what, 20-40 kgs? Thats a hunk of meat your hitting at 100kph with probably 150-300kg worth of bike and rider. Its not going to be gentle. Doubly so if that sack of meat has jumped up to about head height.

For reference an average brick weighs about 2-3 kilos, so imagine riding into a bag of 10-20 bricks cemented together standing a few feet off the ground.

6. Consider a wallaby weighs what, 20-40 kgs? Thats a hunk of meat your hitting at 100kph with probably 150-300kg worth of bike and rider. Its not going to be gentle. Doubly so if that sack of meat has jumped up to about head height.

Yeah thats what i thought, might start riding in second and leave my more experienced mate to deal with the oncoming animals/ slow down when by myself on the road.

Damn territory and its demon spawn creatures, i only got the bike cause i can't surf up here and needed the adrenalin rush and the two feel surprisingly similar to me.

Crocs keep me out of the water, damned if a wallaby or two is keeping me off the roads...

edit: that came out all wrong, how do i use the quote buttons?

7. I would have thought the obvious solution to both your problems is to feed the wallabies to the corocdiles. Will keep the wallabies off the road and with well fed crocs you should be able to swim safely.

And since I am going to the match tonight can't resist saying GO WALLABIES!

8. I clipped a big male koala doing 100 a few years back, luckily we both walked away from it. though its the first and only time I have seen a koala doing a back spin break dance style!

9. I would also be inclined to say that you should think about how it would feel to knee the road 100km/h and then work out if a set of knee guards might not be such a bad purchase...

To me, and i am a wuss in this area, i wouldnt feel comfortable going over 80km/h without wearing leather... but that is just me and everyone will be different. I dont trust a set of draggins to stay together in a high speed slide (specifically in the areas that dont have the kevlar)

10. a break dancing koala - i can see the tourism adds already...

Good to hear you both walked away.

I will looking into feeding the wallabies to the crocs, there may be some legislation that prevents this though :) Maybe organise a croc and wallaby hunting safari to get rid of the pesky buggers for good...

I know leathers would be the go but it is bloody hot up here and i just don't think i'd be able to think and react with a heap of leather covering me. And it'd feel weird to spend more on the safety gear than the bike.

Will look into knee pads though.

Thanks for the advice peoples.

11. Theres no other way to put it, if you regularly ride at those speeds and theres a chance of coming off, you need to dress like a f***ing tank.

Joints, bones, spine, internal organs....theres much more to protect than just your skin.

12. I'd rather have a wallaby thrown at me then 1 single brick

13. Looks like I'm your guy, hit a wallaby 2 weeks ago doing around 100 at midnight had my L's and bike for a week.

It was like slamming into a bloody brick wall!I did about 10 cartwheels and ended up with a broken ankle, bruised spine, sprained wrist, chunks out of both knees and gravel rash on one shoulder.

I was wearing a thick ski jacket, jumper, long sleeved shirt, jeans and trackpants underneath ripped through the lot my helmet was also smashed pretty up good too!

Safe to say at the time I was not thinking at all of the risk wildlife can pose to a motorcyclist.

14. Wow lucky to be alive

15. if you were wearing full leathers, boots and gloves, and a back protector, id be happy betting in the exact same crash, you'd have no gravel rash or chunks of knees missing, probably a rolled ankle not broken, maybe a sore back not bruised spine, and sore wrists.... ALOT better than you ended up.

as you can see, normal clothes, even with alot of layers, WONT hold up to a crash on the road. this includes normal jeans.

you want motorcycle specific clothing, ideally leathers, textile if need be, maybe riding jeans with knee armour as a minimum, but i dont feel safe even in this.

and avoid the wallabies!! i was lucky enough to hit aa dead wombat head on at 100, got airborne like it was a giant speed hump, luckily maintained control once i landed lol

16. wow,

thanks for sharing.

All the best with the recovery.

Hows the bike?

17. The bike is actually not too bad it pretty much slid across the road it's lucky it didn't bounce along it like I did, broken front brake lever and RH front and back indicators, fairings are broken in a few places and there are a lot of deep scratches all along the side of the bike and the front wheel guard, I have no idea how it happened but somehow my ignition key was bent at almost a right angle too.

I wish I had protective gear but I can't afford it at the moment so just helmet/gloves for me for the meanwhile.

18. Thought I'd chime in as I was in a similar accident in April.

Hit a small roo doing 100-110. He went right under the front wheel.

I was wearing full kit at the time, helmet, 2 peice armoured leathers, mesh gloves, touring boots.

Damage to me was: Knocked out, fractured skull, fractured sinus, sore hip, torn rib cartlidge. No skin missing, no broken appendages. I was kept in hospital for a few days because of amnesia of the accident but was otherwise a pleasant stay, hate to think what it would have been like with jeans on.

Damage to the bike: Written off. Front forks were bent enough to touch the front wheel to the lower fairings, appropriately smashed bits all up the right side where the bike went down.

My gear: My leg must have been wedged under the bike during the slide, so my boot ground away and had no leather left on the toes, same with the knee of the pants. Jacket was pretty much fine until the ambos got to it. Helmer lost it's visor in the crash and it looks like I slid on the face side of the helmet for a bit, but the N84 scored 4 stars in the sharp test and it did it's job (I now have a 5 star shark). The stitching on the knuckle of the glove came loose during the slide as well.

So yeah, my advice would be to spend up and get good gear. It seems nothing lasts too long when sliding along wedged between the asphalt and a 200kg bike.

I'm still riding and my new bike is just waiting for me at my folks house for when my restrictions finish in 2 weeks.

19. i came off my zzr about a year ago only low speed around 60 or so.
    draggins held up ok even jammed under he bike sliding but i dont think they would have lasted much longer if i had been going faster.
    dainese kirishima leather jacket held up perfect. i decided to replace them both with a 2p dainese suit and havnt looked back.
    i bought a pair of hornee jeans for the small rides or when im going somewhere i dont want to walk around in leather pants all day.

dont skimp on gear its just not worth it. i moved up to cairns and everyone here seems to ride in shirt shorts and thongs. no matter how hot it is i still wear at min jacket and hornee jeans boots and gloves.
    if its too hot grab a camelback fill it with water and keep hydrated you will be suprised how much it helps to have a constant intake of water while riding.

20. you cant afford to ride then :roll: