Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wall to Wall ride

Discussion in 'NSW' at netrider.net.au started by DrewMan, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Anybody going?

2. when where and what

3. is that it drew? wheres the details

4. Yeah good one Drew is that what you do for work in filling out details ?

5. does that mean we can speed cause the coppers will turn a blind eye?

6. Na its prolly a way for them to get their quota up for the month :D

7. No, consider the $50 participation fee a holding deposit towards the speeding fine..... :D

8. Mixed feelings. I don't always see eye to eye with the boys in blue, but anything they do that promotes motorcycling, (legal and safe, of course) has got to be at least in part a good thing. They respect and remember their fallen, and I can't hold that against them. They show up, en masse, to celebrate and highlight that memory. And they invite all riders to join in. ok. That can't be all bad.

There are lessons to be drawn. Police forces everywhere, and in Victoria more so than most places, are very good at getting together and working as a team to achieve their ends. The police enforce the rules given to them by the government. But they're not afraid to get political and get their own agenda and desires and views out there in the public domain. They work together, and they're not afraid to give of their own time and effort, and they're not shy about pushing the views they hold. The media are mostly more than willing to cooperate in this, and if the police union or spokesman presents a press release, it's usually broadcast verbatim and prominently, without editing, distortion or critical comment, and in a prominent time slot.

So, would the peak body for Australian (or Victorian) motorcyclists get the same consideration? Depends. Everybody knows who the Victorian Police Union are. But who are the peak body for motorcycling? And have they shown themselves capable of organising disciplined, visible, en masse appearances of people who are prepared to work together as a team, give of their own time and effort, and not be afraid to get political about spreading their message and views and preferences around?

You see, it doesn't help us to get defensive and antagonistic. Cops don't get everything they want all the time, but on the whole, their record is better than ours. So what can we learn from them? I think this little event they've organised is a very good idea, and I think there are lesson we could draw from it.

9. ^^^^

Although the above comments may appear antagonistic against the boys in blue, I see it as tongue n cheek; the people who are friends with Drewman or know of him, know what he does for a living.

10. Im a butcher

11. yep....

12. I rode... was a great day!
    Headed from Canberra to Goulburn to join that large contingent coming in.
    Can't say I have ever seen that many bikes in one place!

We all rode in convoy to Canberra and met up with another ridiculous number of bikes!
    Someone said the convoy was over 10km long... and up to 1100 or 1200 riders!

Was a good day. Magic weather, and then nice ceremony at the National Police Memorial to mark those Australians who have paid the ultimate price for serving their community.

Some amazing bikes there too! Great range of bike p0rn!
    This morning several hundred of them all headed out to Majura for brekkie before riding home.

Safe riding to those members returning to their home state from all over the country!