Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Walden Miller or Dririder?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by plc, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Hello All,

I am just about to do my Ls and was looking at two jackets with an eye to the coming Winter; I tend to feel the cold more than the hot weather.

I was looking at getting a Dririder Nordic Pro 4, they look pretty good and I was advised the zip out thermal layer is a good idea. But then a few people keep telling me about the superior protection of leather. And I was at a store and saw a Walden Miller leather jacket which also had a removable thermal layer and armour.

My quandary is: the Dririder is waterproof as well and is $300 cheaper. So for all the experienced riders, is the Walden Miller worth the extra $300 even though it isn't waterproof? Is there greater protection from the leather jacket?

Best to all,
    Paul

2. I'd buy both. Not the walden in particular ,but a leather jacket as well.
    Your gonna need em.

Shit this is your first post :!: How dare you!

3. I'd go the dririder for normal riding but I'm in Melbourne where it gets cold.
    I think the main advantage of leather is you can crash more than once in it.
    There are cheaper leather jackets around. eg Black Rose.
    the liners are a bit of a wank. an ordinary jacket with a fleece jacket works just as well. its pretty easy to waterproof leather.

4. Walden Miller are quality stuff and their products are actually made in Australia. DriRider is fairly generic gear made in China or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing them off because of that - they are reasonably decent quality most of the time. But when it comes to gear being waterproof it's always a gamble whether your particular item will leak or not.

I would say if you can stretch the budget get Walden Miller and a waterproof over-jacket for rain protection. If it leaks you're out of pocket a lot less than you would be with a DriRider jacket. And you still have the nice leather jacket for the times when it isn't raining (I've heard that happens sometimes, though it's hard to believe at the moment!)

5. +1 :cool:

I've got a leather Dainese jacket which I love to bits, and a really light weight goretex raincoat which cost sfa from a hiking store. Just need to remember to pop the raincoat in my bag during periods of dodgy-looking weather (rolled up uses hardly any space) and pull it over the leather jacket if the rain comes. Sounds like a hassle, but it's really not. And then the bonus is that you've got two independent articles of clothing, and a proper raincoat made by people who make raincoats is IMO less likely to leak than a waterproof lining/shell made by a company that makes motorcycle apparel.

6. I've just bought a Dririder. Its very first test (and my first ride for a looooonnng time) was a two hour trip from Sydney in rain, which it came through with flying colours.......and I wasn't hanging about either.

Seems to be warm enough to wear with a t-shirt underneath for most of the time, and has no annoying design faults that I've found yet.

Recommended. :applause:

7. Was it the Dririder Nordic Pro 4 that you are refering to or an other Dri Rider?

8. I have a Walden Miller that was made to measure nearly 10 years ago with a set of pants. Never crashed in it, but considering the use it has had it was well worth it.

I have a cheap Dri-Rider Rallycross jacket for summer riding, but unless it is really hot I grab the leathers, even in the rain. It feels far more secure and because it was made to fit me properly none of the armor moves around at all. Yet to find any synthetic jackets that are not super baggy on me.

I second the idea of a cheap waterproof!