Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wakefield 4 Hour relay

Discussion in 'Multimedia' at netrider.net.au started by UDLOSE, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Hi guys,
    I participated in the St George Wakefield 4 Hour relay race last Sunday.

For those that don't know what this is, it's an endurance race, unlike a normal sprint round where your racing for yourself, it's a team effort. The concept is the race runs for 4 hours and starts with an old fashioned lemans start where the riders have to run to the bike, jump onto it, start it and race away. There's no red flags, a safety car is used in place of red flags and restarts. Only one rider from each team is ever on track at any time. Each rider must complete a minimum of 40 mins out on track and you pit and swap arm bands across to the next bike.

It was an awesome expirience, the team aspect of it makes it way more fun, I reckon it's the most fun I've ever had on a racetrack.

Here's a video I made with all the random behind the scenes bits I could scrape up from some of our gopros. It shows the lemans start and a few pit stops, aswell as a small amount of onboard footage. (Also a bit of casual swearing in the background, sorry in advance)

My team ended up winning our class, by over two laps actually, we beat all of the next class up aswell. It's been a dream of mine to race this event for some time and it was great to make it come true and even better to do well in it.

It's very fun, you get your friends and family involved and get to use a pit board :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Great footage. Looks like a lot of fun.

3. My brother commentated that event, and he said that even though the weather was cold, he really enjoyed the racing...

4. #4 SevenSins, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
    Ahh .. I was there, had about 5 friends racing in that event.. was fun to watch you all from the hill just before turn one..

Hang on.. I just saw footage of one of the riders I know.. and his wife.. hahaha.. maybe we have mutual friends :)

5. Yep, I had a chat to Phil! It was great to have proper commentary at these events. It's good to have an idea what's going on out on track since we're stuck in the pits most of the time

• Like Like x 1
  6. Well there you go! I'm guessing your talking about Stu?

7. Nah.. Rancell.. :)

8. Ah awesome! Yeh I was on Rancell's team, he's an absolute weapon

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. This would be cool to do. I just don't know where to start.

What sort of times do you need to be doing? I've done one ride day at Wakefield (my second track day total) and I did a 1:15 on a road bike. Is there hope for me?

10. Yes there's hope mate. Normally there's no cutoff for lap times for club racing but for the 4 hour they imposed a qualifying cutoff time of 1:17 so you would've scraped through. The only catch is qualifying was on 8-9 degree track temps so everyone was off their best. I think i did 1:11 or something where as my PB is a 1:06.5. I'd highly recommend doing the 'Race Ya Mates' class next year. It's run in conjunction with the FX Road Race Club series but there's a separate class designed for people who want to transition from track days to club racing. They hold you hand a bit and give you extra briefings and a practise grid up and start. They simplify it by having a fixed grid for the day so you can find your spot easily etc.

Cheers
    Marty

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks Marty. I can't find a link to a webpage for this online. Where can I find more info?

12.  Top
  13. Yeh there's no dates yet. I did 2/3 of the FXRRC rounds last year and got 3rd in 600 D grade for the championship. The good thing about doing these days is they are single day race meets so its much less commitment. Last year it was 3 rounds all at Wakefield Park but the year before they had a round at Eastern Creek from memory.

If your in a rush you can do St George, the last round is coming up in Nov and the first round next year should be in Feb. The Eastern Creek rounds are absolutely chockers though, 40+ rider grids. The FXRRC days are much smaller grids