Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

waiting for unrestricted licence, what too do?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Lynchy226, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Hey netriders,
    I started riding initially to save on the huge ammount i was spending on petrol (about $4000/year) About a week after i started on my 2-wheel adventures i realised how awesome riding it is. i'ts become my new money sink, and I'm already looking at a 600 after i get my unrestricted licence (can't wait! XD)

In about 6 months I want a 600 sports. I have a couple in mind already, but I'd like to hear your thoughts before I book some test rides. I'm looking for full fairings, and am currently riding a CTX200 (lol)

2. New or Used?
    Hardcore or a little more relaxed?
    It all is a bit of an open book.
    They all go (Hard) they all Stop (Quickly)
    When you get on them they will all feel very different from a geometry perspective (And this will probably be the thing that makes most of the decision for you)
    Depending on how you ride different bikes will feel better or worse. (I really wanted to like the CBR but the R6 just felt more comfortable for how I ride).
    So in short… Get a leg over and buy the bike that gives you Wood.

(BTW Your key options in the Super aggressive 600s is R6 CBR GSXR ZXR and DaytonaR)
  3. What do you want out of the bike?

Speed? Comfort? Looks? Turning? Reliability?
  4. ahh good advice guys ty.

How easy is it to book a test ride?
    i was looking at the yammy and the daytona.

a hardcore riding position doesent bother me, as long as its comfortable. I have long legs, so something thats not cramped. I'm 180cm tall and 63 kg.
  5. You'll hear it a lot, you'll see it a lot and the truth is that it's entirely accurate. The bottom line, final answer to any "which bike" question can only be answered by the seat of your pants.
    In choosing my bike I knew what I needed, knew what I liked and was fortunate that the bike that I fell in love with felt right however I wasn't able to get that bike straight away so I took a few others for a test ride. It was on these rides that I discovered things about myself in relation to how bikes differ from one another and whole heartedly encourage anyone else to do so themselves.
  6. Most people's first response is that the above sentence is an oxymoron. However with the correct riding posture on a sports bike this isn't the case.

Judging by you wanting to look at the Daytona (btw, nice choice ;) ) and Yamaha (R6 I assume?) your after a sports bike.

Have a look at the bikes on paper, then as FL said, go throw a leg over them.

As for test rides, if your off restrictions and your a legitimate buyer you can basically walk in and book one and that's it. I tried to book one 3 days before I got off restrictions and they didn't want to know me. However once the restrictions lifted I was their new best friend.

The actual test rides can be mixed and varied however...

When are you off restrictions...?
  7. I would have a think on what you want based on something other than looks, The 675 is the most torquie of the options and the R6 the most highly strung, so they are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of power delivery. In the same sense the 675 7 the CBR are the two that you most perch on top of whereas the R6 you more sit into the bike, so for riding style they are also at opposite ends of the spectrum.
    It sounds like you really need to get out and ride a few to work out what you want from a bike.
  8. I'd also put in that you might find it helpful to try some things that are the opposite of what you're looking for - larger capacity, older, naked bikes, dual purpose....the list goes on. You may find that you surprise yourself by falling for something you really didn't expect.

By the by, a mate with a Kwaka ZX6 says its not that comfortable. All my other mates who've ridden it agree.

Cheers - boingk
  9. i say learn how to ride

untill you can ride a 250 14/10ths you dont need to upgrade

why so you can ride a 600 to 5% of its potential

i ride in the hills often and i see some good riders, but i see 5 times as many posers on 1000's who would be faster on a 250..

i have recently downgraded some 1100ccs smaller than the pervious ride, i can now ride it much quicker through the mountains, even though its got 100nm and 60hp less power
  10. not everyone wants to ride fast and dangerously through the twisties though
  11. I think this could actually be part of what andrewed is talking about.
    Some people don’t want to ride fast and DANGEROSLY through the twisties, so they stay on a small bike until the understand more about riding. Then they can ride fast or slow and safely without any issues, as they have honed there skills as apposed to just getting a big bike because it is expected.
  12. what I was trying to say is that: Some people might like to have a nice bike (enjoy the position, power, capabilities), and might or might not be able to ride fast, but still might choose to ride sensibley.

Allot of riders like to bad mouth liter bike riders for riding slow and celebrate passing them. Whether they can or cant ride fast its their choice whether they do.

But we should get back OT i guess. Plus don't listen to me its taken me till my 7th bike to get a 1000cc plus machine. Still none of the sportbikes ive ever ridden would've been able to keep up with the mighty 525 in the tight stuff (yes I'm not above measuring my penis)
  13. Could always take a leaf out of my book and use the gap until your full licence to do up a project bike. I should have my 850 on the road and insured for under 2k, so you can definitely do it on the cheap if you want. It puts out 80hp, more than enough for what I want to do with it. Its not a light beast (quoted 270kg curb) but thats why I'm keeping my 125.

Ask yourself what you want to do with the bike and you'll most likely find some good choices. I wanted something cheap and reliable that had a bit of grunt - but not watercooled or chain driven. I settled on a GS850 shaftie tourer. I swear, theres a bike for everyone out there if you look hard enough.

- boingk
  14. In theory sure, but I'm a better rider on my 750 than on the 250. The GPX was a great beginner bike, but the tyres were skinny and crap, suspension bounced me around corners and it was a pain in the bum up hills.

The VFR750 has suspension that gives me a feel for the road without trying to launch me over bumps, lovely wide, sticky tryes and enough torque that I'm not constantly wringing it's neck just to battle up a hill. It also has enough room for my legs and is far more comfortable.

It's very admirable to be able to master a bike that makes it difficult every step of the way, but I'm into making things easy for myself personally. The GPX was not confidence inspiring after a while and when I'm not confident I don't relax enough to improve. That's just me though, everyone is different.

Lynchy the best thing to do is sit on as many bikes as possible and scab some test rides if you can (and are careful). I was dribbling over R6's for months until I had a ride of one and changed my mind very quickly. Brilliant fun, crippling riding position after half an hour. It made me realise I was after something more upright while still being sporty and comfortable to ride longer distances.