Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Waiting at red lights?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by gordon84, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Hey all

Might be a very dumb question but I'm only very new to riding and i've been commuting to work lately and found that i have been for a long time at red lights. There is a set of traffic lights at my work which hardly anyone uses and i've waited there around 6/7 minutes when i got feed up and just ran the red light thinking it was a malfunction. The next day i was waiting at the same lights and waiting for a couple of minutes at the lights and a car pulled up behind me and it went green almost straight away.

Is it just me or does this happen to other riders?? Do bikes not have enough metal or weight to trigger a traffic light?

Besides just running a red light any advice would help. :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. The inductive sensor in the road might be a bit less sensitive than some others. Get yourself a fat arsed magnet and stick it to the bottom of your frame/engine somewhere, it's a trick the push-bike guys use.

• Like Like x 1
  3. or sit over the sensor and hit your start button. The induced effect will trigger the sensor.

4. Yep just hit the starter, much easier than sticking a magnet to your bike!

5. You can see the inductor, putting the kickstand down over it works too. Or if there is a pedestrian button close enough to hit without getting off your bike go for that.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I've found it helps to position your bike so it's directly over the sensor, often you can see where they've torn the road up to install it. Usually this will conveniently be the same spot that has the most grease, spilled diesel and air conditioner condensation from the cars waiting at the intersection, and probably also one of those white painted arrows that might as well be made of ice.

Good tip about the starter, will have to try that next time I find myself stuck.

• Like Like x 1
  7. i didn't realise about the starter either! i normally run over the sensor part of the road a few times back and forth with my bike and that usually works well for me

8. so many options, thanks for the advice everyone. Will have to try them out.

9. The starter didn't occur to me ... it should have, I know very well how they work, just didn't occur to me. Good call.

10. I pretty much assume when I am alone that no light will acknowledge me and just give me the cold shoulder.

As such I find the sensor, then proceed to roll around on it, bounce up and down on my bike and scream war cries.

Seems to work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. If noone is around I just ride thru.
    If someone is watching I will get off and push the pedestrian button. It's always funny to ham it up a little.

• Like Like x 2
  12. i just go

13. I've found in most cases just a short twist of the throttle triggers the sensor, providing your bike is right over it. C
    hanging velocity of moving parts in your engine also changes inductive field

14. last time this happened to me i was with another rider waiting for turn arrow to go green. when it didnt go first sequence the other rider came up beside me but it still didnt change. we both then moved over white line for car behind us to move up. it changed on next sequence, but i as going if it didnt

15. In the past, in Sydney, I used to get this problem quite a lot.

The Z50 Honda just isn't that big, and it doesn't have a starter motor either.

If it was at a set of lights I used often, such as Pennant Hill and North Rocks Rds.
    I would phone the RTA and complain.

Strange to say, they were always very helpful and the lights were fixed in the next couple of days.

16. I've never had this problem in Sydney. Always pleanty of traffic around.
    In Melb if i missed a cycle and no one around I'd just ride through.
    If I missed a cycle and there was a call a fair distance behind, I'd move forwards and motion to car to get over the sensor.

17. if i come up to an unoccupied interception, in a time that it is unlikely that someone else will come up, i will hit my brakes harder than what i would normally. nothing stupid that is going to cause me to loose traction or anything, just so more of the inertia is transferred into the sensor than the road prior. and usually only a quick tap/handfull

18. It doesn't work on weight, however that will bring the metal of your bike closer to the induction coil so it will still work a bit.

19. worked for me so far.... might have just been lucky.

has anyone tried a steel toe slider or something?
    something thats not too much of a modification or would look out of place but may be enough to set the trigger off? (if it has something to do with induction, aluminum wont work)

20. It's a giant metal detector. Most of them will detect a bicycle fairly easily. You occasionally get the poorly calibrated one which is annoying if it's on your regular route. Apparently they will adjust it if you let the road people know. But I wouldn't have faith in it happening quickly. But otherwise all the above tricks work.