Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wage/tax question

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by I Adore Vic, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Hey all. I know very little about tax and how much is taken out of wages each week so thought I'd post the question here.

Say I get a job that pays $800 per week. Does anyone know how much tax is taken out of that??

2. Tax = $149 - assuming no leave loading or HECS debt

3.  Top
  4. Income = $800pw = $41,600 pa
    Tax on taxable income = $7,080
    Net = $34,520.00 = $663.85pw

5. Wow. That's a lot more than I'd hoped it would be.

Thanks for your help. I'll add the website to fav's Geordielass.

6. No worries :grin:

7. But if you are able, claim anything possibly related to work you have a receipt for - this includes stationary, special clothing [ie. steel-capped boots], and even a percentage of all vehicle costs based on the percentage business use vs private use if you use your vehicle in any capacity for work other than commuting to & from.

You can even claim a laundry allowance for clothing items that display your company's logo.

Keep receipts for everything work related, and see an accountant.
    If you can make some of the deductions menitoned above, the return they get you should easily outweigh their fee for lodging it.

8. Their fee will be tax-deductible next year, too! :grin:

9. Thanks for the chart Stewy. Very easy to read. One thing I don't understand is the family allowance bit. I think I'll still be entitled to some payment from Centrelink (fam allow?) so does this payment also go towards my gross income? :?

It's a cataloguing position with a govt dept. A friend emailed the details to me and it sounds perfect but it's in Melb and it's fulltime and it means no more study (not with trying to run a household and three kids)...not to mention without me the kids will be on their own during the upcoming school hol's.

Will be giving it a miss for the above reasons.

Thanks for your help everyone. :) Will finish the study and by then the girls will be older and I'll be more able to get my cake and eat it too. :grin:

10. rosie it's best if you can work in the field you are studing because all you course fees each year are then a tax right off......and you get HUGE return cheques :grin:

11. Hey Stewy - I'm now qualified to do this job..thanks to the study I've been doing! I just finished the certificate part of the course :grin: *yay me!*and this job calls for a library technician/cataloguer with either the Certificate, Diploma or further. This position is perfect for someone looking at getting into cataloguing.

I'm actually really keen to get a position as a cataloguer as opposed to a position in a library. I'm finding the cataloguing part of the course the most interesting and I like that it has rules which must be followed. Plus the pay is supposedly better! ;)

Oh yeah - and my fees weren't all that much because I'm a single Mum. :)

12. :-w :-w

13. :rofl:

Joel! :oops:

Aw shucks...thankyou!