Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

WA WA to scrap AS sticker for helmets

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Chuffa, Dec 5, 2012.

1. It looks like WA might go from Wait Awhile to Way Ahead !!

The MRAwa newsletter http://mrawa.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Safety-Report-December-20121.pdf states that the WA govt "are about to change the requirement of the specific sticker issued from Standards Australia (who no longer exist) to a list of approved certification bodies."

I think I might put off purchasing a new lid for a little while. "are about to change" is very promising indeed, but a week is a long time in politics yes?

2. About bloody time. Now we'll see just how different our helmets actually are when the prices don't change at all after the requirement stops.

3. Stay tunned it is going to get way more complicated than this......

4. Makes sense. Certainly other things have been changed to accept certain international standards as equivalent to AS.

After all it's not like there's a huge helmet making industry in this country to try and protect. The only people making money out of having an AS standard, are the people who set the AS standard.

5. #5 Fractalz, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

6. That seems like a misleading thread heading. The way I read the article is not that a sticker won't be required on the helmet, but that other certification bodies will be approved to apply their certification stickers, in accordance with the legislation, to helmets for sale in WA.

7. Seems to be the case, they are still playing catch up, if so.

8. It's also fixing up a fundamental legal issue that currently makes almost every helmet officially non complying.

9. The statement says use of Bus Lanes in NSW in Peak times is being trialed. Are they referring to Bus Only Lanes since Bus lanes can already be used.
    What would happen if they adopt comparable certification for helmets in WA and a rider wears it in another state without that certification?

The helmet certification needs to be adopted nationally.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Too right it needs to be national! Replacement of a federal system with disparate state ones - and privatised at that - doesn't sound like an advancement to me.

11. It'll be interesting to see what effects this has on the road legal motorcycle helmet market in Australia, that's for sure.

12. What happens in Vic now if someone from NSW dares to drive a Chery in Victoria.

13. AS sticker Fractalz.

Justus.

14. That could be a totally different situation. A vehicle registered in NSW has guest privileges in other States when visiting. So, it's registration conditions are accepted there.
    I doubt it would be a registration condition to wear an AS approved helmet so is it a licenses condition or a Road Rule? It may benefit a licenses condition.
    If it's a Vic Road Rule then you could get done for not wearing an AS approved helmet. If it's a licenses condition then you could become ok.

15. True.

It's probably more like the stupid situation with towing weights between NSW and Vic years ago.

16. VicPol had to refund South Australian folks who were infringed for not having rego sticker - but they aren't required to have one. Let's hope they learned their lessons regarding different rules across state lines.

17. I doubt it.

18.  Top
  19. Yes Justus I got that ... I sensed some excitement in the title perhaps brought on by an expectation that no sticker would be required. I think perhaps peeps should not get their hopes too high in this regard ;-)

20. Quote

"They are about to change the requirement of the specific sticker
    issued from Standards Australia (who no longer exist) to a list of approved
    certification bodies"

/Quote

in other words they are going to officially ratify in WA what exists in NSW that there is more than one certifying body that is approved to certify helmets that they meet AS/NZS1698:2006

They are going to bring it into line with NSW

see here - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/motorcyclesafety/motorcyclehelmets.html