Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[WA] Rego stickers to be abolished

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, May 10, 2009.

1. Registration stickers to go

The State government is doing away with registration stickers and discs for Western Australian cars, trailers and motorbikes.

The Premier Colin Barnett says from the start of next year people will receive renewal notices but will not have to put a sticker on their windscreens.

Mr Barnett says stickers are no longer necessary because police can now check registration details using the new Police Metropolitan Radio Network.

The information can be accessed through computers in all police cars.

2. As reported in the Herald Sun: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25456826-5005961,00.html

Two points:

So how are they saving in postage if they still send an account? They are dickheads. :LOL: :cool:
  3. I guess because they usually post out the account notice first, and then the actual sticker after payment and printing. So if they're not posting the sticker, that's halving the postage costs right there.
  4. Ahhhh ......... So it is a location thing. Here in Victoria we get the sticker and the account in the same envelope. Hence my surprise. By posting both in the same envelope we were already doing that. :LOL:
  5. Interesting, I didn't know that. I was guessing, based on the system here in SA. First they post out an account payment notice when your rego's due, then once you've paid that the rego sticker gets posted out about a week later. If the WA system is similar, then they can save half the postage costs.

I always did wonder why we don't get rid of the stickers here in SA since these days the police computers can look up the information anyway.
  6. At least with your way, the car with an old sticker is more likely to be unregistered, whereas here, any car could be unregistered. Just that the person has put the new sticker on without paying hoping to buck the system.

Also about the account before sticker thing, I just got told by a mate in the ACT that they it the same way as you. So must be fairly common. I'd say you're right and the WA way is similar.
  7. There is also a Fleet Registation Scheme here in Victoria that all the major fleet companies are a part of.

Basically a generic (blue) sticker is issued to the vehicle for the life of it's lease under the understanding that the rego will be paid on time each year by the lease company. When the lease nears it's end a normal sticker is sent out for the vehicle and the generic sticker removed.

Works quite well in my experience as I was forever having the sticker to my vehicles delivered late due to them paying it at the last minute and sending it out after the expiry date leaving me exposed to a fine.
  8. isn't the other purpose of the rego sticker, is to match the license plates, so you can tell if the plates are stolen / belong to the vehicle