Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[WA] Procedure for sending registered letters

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Whipster, Feb 1, 2008.

  1. Hi all,

    I'm sending a letter to the Fines Enforcement Registry to ask for more time to pay a speeding fine that I have. I originally sent an email a week ago (the day I received the ticket), but received no response, so now I am following it up.

    I'm going to send a registered letter so that it doesn't come back to bite me in the a$$ later, this way I have proof of sending and delivery confirmation. My question is, how do I prove what was in the letter that I'm sending? Do I simply photocopy it for my records, make a notation of when I sent it and attach the sending receipt/delivery receipt? Is that good enough?

    Or is there a generally accepted way of making a formal record of the actual content of letters that you send?

    It's not a big deal really, so I'm probably going overkill, but on the other hand I don't trust the ba$tardz as far as I can throw em.

    Any advice would be appreciated :grin:
  2. Mate I think you're approaching this the wrong way. Just because you ask for more time doesn't mean you will automatically get it.
    A registered letter will be signed for by the person who collects the mail or has the mail delivered to them. You're dealing with a gvt department/contractor, so the person you need to deal with is unlikely to open the letter.

    I suggest ringing them rather than pay for postage etc.
    If you don't pay by the due date there is a 2 week extension (in Vic) no questions asked.
    Realistically you have until your day in court to pay if you want to take it that far.

    Legally, a letter is deemed to have been delivered as addressed once its posted.
    A registered letter has no extra guarantee of being delivered. You will at some stage be able to prove that "someone" received it but that's all.
  3. Edit: Freakin' double post :!:
  4. The correct procedure is this:

    -You write your letter. Give it a reference [any identifying code/feature "Reference: Response010208" for example is fine].
    -You send it via registered post.
    -It should be given a tracking or reference number, or some way to trace it at the post office.
    -Copy that number onto a separate statement [attached to a copy of your original letter] that states the letter reference: "Response010208" was despatched via registered post number _________ ; identical to the attached copy.
    -Get person at post office to initial the attached copy, and sign the statement of what was sent.

    This statement and attached letter CAN be presented as a 'witness' for you in the event you end up in court over this and they claim to have received no correspondence from you attempting to resolve the dispute.

    It would be very helpful to yourself to find out the exact name and title of the appropriate person at the Infringement Processing Dep. so the registered mail can be addressed to them specifically and their signature will be required to confirm receipt.
  5. This is on the bottom of each notice in my penalty book:
    Further information and information relating to eligibility for payment plans and applying for internal review can by obtained by
    telephoning Civic Compliance Victoria on: (O3) 9200 8111

    I know its for Victoria but yours will be similar.
    It doesnt mention registered letters for the reasons I mentioned above.

    When I send notices I dont even use envelopes with our logo because a letter that is "posted" is deemed "delivered".

    OP, just ring them up and come up with a payment plan. They dont have anything personal against you and dont gain anything by shafting you but I can guarantee a letter wont always find its mark.
  6. Thanks for your input, guys.

    Of course, but not asking for more time means I definitely won't get it :p

    Yes, in WA we get another month past the due date before they issue a final demand notice, but there is a late payment fee that applies if you let this happen. In any case, I like to pay things by the due date or have a formal arrangement to do otherwise, it's just the way I am :wink: .

    Thanks for the tips guys, I hadn't really thought of that. But I think you're both right about finding out who the person in charge with, and I think I'll give em a call on the phone first. Seems the easiest way, and then I'll just get them to confirm our agreement in writing. Same end result, right? I won't bother writing them a letter unless I don't get that confirmation :roll: . At least I'll know who to address it to then!

    Cheers lads :grin: much appreciated