Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[WA] Pillion as witness?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Wellbold, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Hi guys, first post here so hello to everyone.

Just wondering what the laws are regarding pillion passengers in an accident, specifically are they a valid witness to an accident they were involved in? What if the pillion passenger is the owner who holds insurance covering the rider at the time of an accident (and wants to be a witness for his own insurance claim)?

I guess what I'm asking is could the insurance company claim that the pillion passenger was a biased witness because they were the insurance holder and obviously an interested party in the outcome of the claim?

Interesting one.... Thanks for your help!
  2. Hey, welcome.

Correct. For a car, passengers can't be valid witnesses - so I'd imagine it would be the same for pillions.
  3. they can be a witness, just not an independant witness. always worth getting their statement down. it can't hurt and just may help
  4. Not correct. This is a common misconception.
    Anyone can be a witness. It's how much evidentiary "weight" thats placed on thier statement that counts.
    Obviously some witnesses will be more biased than others, but this is taken into account. Get a statement from all witnesses everytime.
  5. Thanks for all the advice guys, especially thetramp64. Every little bit helps when dealing with the insurance co's.

Safe riding.