Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

WA gets new cameras

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Hopefully this might end the FNP debacle since WA was really where it started...

Rob Johnson
    Minister for Police; Emergency Services; Road Safety

Wed 18 February, 2009
    Media response - Dual-lens cameras
    Portfolio: Police
    Question asked by: The West Australian
    Subject: Dual-lens cameras

“Digital speed cameras which can shoot both the front and rear number plates are long overdue in Western Australia. Way back in July, 2002 the previous State Government announced they were closing the loophole which literally allowed motorcyclists to thumb their nose at speed cameras. Unfortunately, nothing happened and the loophole continued to remain a problem for road safety for the next six years of the previous Government.

“WA Police are now running trials of digital cameras which will close this loophole and ensure speeding motorcyclists will be held as accountable for their actions as other road users. I welcome this development because I believe it will make our roads safer for everyone who uses them – including motorcyclists.â€

Minister's office: 9222 9211
  2. Translation: We want more $$$$!!
  3. Bollocks it was. It was your lot over at VicRoads what were the driving force behind it and wasted considerable sums of taxpayers money on "engineering" investigations by companies who hadn't the first clue about motorcycles :p .

Admittedly, elements over here who (thought they) stood to gain financially picked it up with great enthusiasm.

It's old news anyway. Rear number plate cameras of one sort or another have been operating here for long enough that my first (and only) demerit from them is about to drop off my licence.
  4. Again - totally wrong...

The proposals did NOT come from VicRoads in the first place. I have it on the authority of the FCAI and the Commonwealth Dept of Infrastructure that it first emanated from WA cops because of the lack of "owner onus" legislation in WA back then. The other police then got on the bandwagon and agreed to promote it.

When the funding proposals were put out to the states by the NTC people Vic Roads put their hands up to do the trials and write the papers because there was a lot of Commonwealth money behind it. The whole thing was funded by the Commonwealth people. VicRoads probably made money out of it however.
  5. you mean
  6. OK, I'll defer to someone who was involved considerably earlier than I was.

However, I was involved professionally in the FNP issue over here during my time as a public servant. By the time I got involved, it was understood, in my little corner of government, that, although the WA cops had been rumbling about the whole thing for years, it had only really gained legs when VicRoads started to look at it, not for reasons of speed enforcement, but in relation to toll collection. At which point, the dollar signs lit up in the eyes of senior police and Office of Road Safety personnel and they pushed it with great enthusiasm.

I can, however, assure everyone that the majority of the Vehicle Standards staff in WA, who would have ended up having to implement any scheme, were solidly against the whole thing. A feeling that was echoed in the other jurisdictions I talked to.

Regardless of that though, I agree that we should hope that sense has finally been seen. I'd far rather have rear plate cameras and owner onus (as I grew up with such a system anyway) than have to screw shonky brackets to my bike at my own expense.
  7. The toll collection stuff is a furphy - it was well before the FNP fiasco that CityLink announced they had the ability to photograph rear plates on bikes. I remember when we talked to them back then. Tolls aren't a VicRoads issue anyway and they have nothing to do with setting them - it's purely an issue with the companies that run the roads.

WA's minister was one of the most outspoken proponents of the number plates at COAG - along with NSW. Victoria merely saw the opportunity to pick up funding so grabbed it. Believe me, as someone who has been involved with COmmonwealth/State funding applications - don't stand between a Victorian government (of any political persuasion) and the possibility of Commonwealth funding for anything. If funding was offered to study the possibility of rendering down small children for margarine - someone in this state would stick their hand up to carry out the trials. :roll:
  8. Fair enough.

I'll take this as an interesting lesson in how even someone close to the issue (me, in this case) can get fed misleading information by those who should know better.

I'm not sure which Minister it would have been. I'm guessing that it was Michelle Roberts who, in spite of some sterling qualities, had an unfortunate tendency to let St Dorro the Righteously Indignant write her briefing notes and speeches.

Fellow Sandgropers will know who I'm talking about.
  9. If they didn't get it federally, it's always worth submitting a proposal to VMAC. Less small children equals less soccer mums in 4x4's driving them to school and sporting practice between valium hits, thus better riding conditions. :grin:

Come on, it beats some proposals we've heard doesn't it. :LOL:
  10. And would probably cure this problem

11. I've got some test material for you to work with...

after yesterday's performance in town my two are close to being volunteered for the job. :bolt:
  12. There's a few clothing factories still left in Brunswick - send them out to work... :LOL:
  13. No doubt we'll be getting them soon, someone in government has worked out 2 wheeler sales are on the the rise & they stand to miss out on revenue!

Any pics of these cameras, they should be easier to spot right?