Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

(WA) e-tags linked to speed cameras?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by bazl, Jul 30, 2008.

1. If it is like an electronic tag won't it be easily tampered with?
  2. Quoted from the article

“This technology, if adapted for speed cameras, could make huge inroads into our road toll and would result in a positive change of attitude and behaviour among motorcyclists,†he said.

What a crock of shit :roll: ... the translation should be

Great that means I won't have to strain my wanking hand holding that big heavy radar gun out the window, I know more cars get photographed and the pictures and fines tossed for being illegible but doing active police work can be so hard, you have to get your fat arse out of the patrol car and if while driving around protecting society and helping the general public you see one of those cars with an illegible plate, god forbid you actually have to hand write a ticket...all too hard.

What we need is a group to paint as the bad guy...aha scumbag motorcyclists, even though most ride within the law, and even though less of them get photographed by speed cameras than other vehices with illegible plates, we will try and push it through with a raod safety trying to save lives angle...That way we get tons more speeding revenue, appear to give a fcuk about motorcylists, and don't have to actually do any proactive policing...ah life will be a breeze and i'll have plenty of time to indulge in my 2 favourite things other than extoling the virtues of speed cameras....cinnamon donuts and lattes

And as for this arsehole...

Motorcycle Riders Association WA branch president David Wright said he knew nothing about electronic tags but thought they were a good idea. They did not pose the same problems as front numberplates, which affected aerodynamics, could be deliberately covered by a rider using his hands or feet and were a safety hazard.

thanks for that... good to see you have motorcyclists interests at heart...do you spit or swallow?
  3. Go team!
  4. I heard on the radio today David Wright being quoted as saying that he thought the identity tags were not a good idea and that the radars should simply be turned around to take images of the rear of bikes where plates are visible.
  5. Hahaha

Not on my bike.

6. i-rection that he should take it up his rectum.

thank you thank you.
  7. That may explain a lot - anyone who could cover a front plate with their feet has to be a little odd. :p

Electronic tags are a totally different kettle of fish to FNPs and will be very hard to fight against if they are implemented for all vehicles. If/when they come on the horizon then any fight will be on privacy issues.

In any case they are still a fair way off. Tests overseas have found they are not terribly effective for motorcycles - especially older ones. Too easily tampered with, and too much electro-magnetic interference can make the signal not work :wink:
  8. That may well be, but it still doesn't change the fact that more fines get tossed due to the vehicles number plate being illegible due to dirt, plate covers, faded plates etc...than the number of motorcyclists who escape being fined due to not having front plates at all.

This smacks of the government trying to bully a minority road user group when what they propose will be a dismal failure and do nothing to reduce road deaths...lets face it speed cameras are the biggest failure of all, the road toll has been roughly static for well over a decade but we keep catching more and more people speeding????....I dunno about you but if speed is the"number 1 killer on our roads" *cough* BULLSHIT *cough* and stopping speeding would save lives they would be catching less people and road deaths would plummet...funny how it hasn't worked out that way eh... so really speed cameras have fcuk all benefit to the community from a road safety point of view but they make damn sure the government doesn't miss out on revenue though.

The worst bit about the whole front number plate thing is that they will try to push it through and gain support using the "well we have to have them so should you" court of public opinion...lets face it how many car drivers give a shit about our safety of the fact that pollies and police grossly overstate the reasons for front plates.

I wonder what the reaction would be if they found that red VX Commodores fines got tossed more than others...how would the car driver take to their pride and joy being bastardised "for the greater good"...of course this won't happen because when all is said and done car drivers are higher up the scale than motorcyclists.

9. The last figure I saw was about 2.8% of cars and 3.1% of motorcycles were unable to be identified.

If you assume the same percentage of bikes and cars have illegible rear plates that makes 0.03% of motorcyclists caught speeding who get away with it due to no front plate. That's a truly miniscule number - wouldn't even pay for a speed camera. :?
  10. In defence of David, I should point out that he is simply reflecting what came out of the Motorcycle and Scooter Safety Summit, where 100 of us all agreed that Radio Frequency Identifiers (RFID) were an acceptable outcome - one that is likely to replace all vehicle number plates at some time in the distant future.

The battle we are trying to win surrounds - fixtures or decals being fitted to our bikes - which will cost us $200 each.

The lost revenue argument is a smoke screen - its not our fault that they have the wrong technology or that they can't get bikes by "just turning the cameras around"......

The cops in WA must realize that they have lost the FNP battle - so now they are turning to the promotion of RFID.

Now RFID can be fitted to all vehicles - if they are introduced "only to be fitted on bikes", then we have a whole new problem which we must fight. But if its for all vehicles - then the rest of society will have to decide whether they like it or not.....
  11. Actually the outcome was that RFID may be an acceptable outcome for all vehicles - providing the privacy and other issues were overcome.
  12. Well they bloody got me a couple of years ago. 96 in an 80 and my first ever point in 21, generally not slow, years on the road :evil: .

So take it from me people, you can be done by a Multanova, whether the rear facing ones are officially supposed to be in operation or not. Any argument by the authorities that the trials were unsuccessful doesn't wash. Apparently the rear facers took longer to set up, so maybe it reduced the profit margin to an unacceptable level.

The coppers are just trying to cover their own arses anyway. WA's motorcycle toll may be high, but the WA road toll in general is on the rise. It's down a bit since last year's spike, but the longer term trend is up. I wonder if it could have anything to do with the fact that there are no coppers on the road here these days.

As for e-tags, I don't particularly like the idea, but if they're introduced for all vehicles (and it had better be all vehicles), we'll probably have to wear it. Time to buy an old Brit with unsupressed Lucas magneto and lots of nice, technology upsetting vibration :grin: .[/b]
  13. My first thought was that this is a baaad thing... but then I remembered that I happen to have in my possession an object that would solve that little problem for me :wink:
    Radio frequencies are soooo easy to f#$% with. Bring it on :LOL:
  14. It doesn't need to be an old Brit either... It's easy enough to cause even a modern system to be unsupressed... :LOL:
  15. I would not be surprised to see motorcycles used as a pilot program for the introduction of RFID across all vehicles.
  16. Put me down for ANY protest against RFID identification on ANY vehicle I own or drive... Licence plates have worked for years and years, sure they are not infallible but they are only there to identify your vehicle...and RFID chop is there to not only identify your vehcile but also to...track your movements, automatically send you infringements, build a database of your travelling habits etc...etc...

What next for citizens, do we inject RFID chips into people or make the carry a National Identity card at all times with an RFID chip impegnated into it...after all it's for your own good and we have it in cars and it works great,

Of course the politicians and police are completely trustworthy, above board and never lie so they would never use the system to invade your privacy or track your movements...or would they????, after all if they can do it with a car why not people...

When will people take a stand against the impinging of Government into every aspect of their lives to catch the miniscule number of people who don't play by the rules...?
  17. I would be very surprised - it's too difficult. The tests done in the UK showed it wasn't cost effective and they've quietly dropped the idea for the present..

edit: TE - that's not to say it won't eventually happen if they can overcome some of the issues.

Funny thing is - if the RFID isn't working (for whatever resaon) then they will still need a camera of some sort to identify you.

I can just see the complaints now. Motorcycle hoons escape prosecution because of unworkable RFID - call for front numberplates to be reintroduced... :roll:

The conclusions from the UK Report...
    It was found to be technically feasible - but tests were done only using new motorcycles in good condition. This report doesn't mention that other tests on older bikes showed technical problems.

The remit of this report is to consider the deployment of RFID specifically for motorcycles, especially in the context of VED evasion. Given the practical, legal and cost issues outlined above together with the ongoing improvement in ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) performance, the Agency’s improved publicity and wheelclamping campaigns, RFID for this specific purpose alone would not add sufficient value to justify implementation at this stage. However, this is not to say that the use of RFID in road traffic management is ruled out. The Department for Transport and DVLA continue to monitor developments in this field and to assess the potential for practical application. The favoured option emerging from this report is option 3 – to pursue alternative methods of tackling evasion
  18. When I set my portable radio up so I could listen to it when riding I discovered that the Blackbird made listening to AM radio impossible. FM radio wasn't too bad but there was still interference.

I would imagine that it wouldn't take much nous to come up with something that emitted enough RF interference to made RFIDs ineffective.

It's like radar detectors, radar detector detectors, software copy protection, DVD/CD protection, etc.. They bring out something that adversely affects our daily lives someone will develop an anti-something to counter it.

Or simply encasing the module in alfoil or whatever. Of course, that would be too obvious, if cops detect that something is amiss and they intercept you.