Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[WA] Daylight Savings

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Duffman, Dec 5, 2006.

1. I know its a couple of days late but

Finally WA joins the rest of the world. Pretty soon i'm sure we will adopt metric measurements and unrestricted shopping hours too.

Geez it was great to sit down on the balcony after doing a bit of gardening and have a beer and watch the sun set at 8.30. Tonight after work i'll walk the dogs and go for a swim, all before it gets dark. Great stuff.

* For all those in states which already had DLS, i apologise, but you dont understand how difficult it has been to get this in.
  2. I luuurrve daylight savings. Are locations South of Geraldton the only places to get it, or is it blanket coverage?
  3. As far as i know its the whole state. In fact i'm sure it is. Its would be a disaster having more than one timezone for a single state.

My two fav comments i heard on radio were:

1) I just feel for the poor farmers

2) What time will the 6 o'clock news be on?
  4. I liked, "It will fade everyones curtains", and "what about the skin cancer risk"........
  5. I'm in QLD and I don't want DLS time. Why would I want it to be still light at 8:30 at night? I've got two kids (6 and 4) and its very hard to convince them that its bed time while the sun is still up. As for the farmers, despite the piss taking from everyone it is actually a bit of a pain in the ass. Certain jobs around the farm are done at around dusk. When we are finished we have dinner. Add that hour on and we won't be eating tea till 9pm. What for? What is the point of DLS time? I live on the tropic of Capricorn and thats close enough to the equator to not need it. I could understand the need in the perpertual gloom of the mexican states but for us up here in the tropics it's probably not needed.
  6. I have to agree with Doggy here. Us poor sun deprived people in the southern states need it. But if you are further north than the Tropic of Capricorn then it is not necessary. You get enough sun anyway.
    Oh I luuurrrvvvve daylight saving. The opurtunity to go for a ride after work on a good day is just so nice.
    :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
  7. OOOOyess..........and to fly a vintage aircraft into a beautiful WA sunset. All these bloody whingers, I just don't get the problem, Swedish kids have to go to bed when it's daylight for 24 hours... :wink:
  8. True.

It is really such a small adjustment.

Doggy, regarding your comment about it being harder to get the kids to sleep...

total respect to you, but that is an incredibly short sighted view to take. Its a couple of years of your/their lives where it might be slightly more difficult to get them to sleep. Why would you want to deny others the chance to benefit from it just for your own reasons? And even then, i dont accept the point anyway because it is just a matter of people getting used to it.

Re having to do some farm tasks later in the day...

well yes you will have to do things later, but you also start later in the morning. So whats the problem? Instead of it getting light at say 6, it will now be 7. There are still the same number of hours in the day and still the same amount of sunshine.

Yes it is an adjustment, but the vast majority of people in our community will benefit from it.
  9. This whole debate is pretty funny. The reasons both for and against are pretty flimsy. I'm saying that it is not too good for some primary producers and kids etc and the other side of the coin is "we want it so that we can go riding / sport etc later". Now which reason is shallow? :wink:

I dug up some figures from the BOM.

Figures are for today 6th Dec 06.

Melb SR 0552 SS 2030 Daylight savings time. Hours of Daylight: 14.75hrs
    Perth SR 0603 SS 2009 " Daylight: 14.1 hrs
    Emerald SR 0513 SS 1844 Standard time. 13.5 hours.
    (I have no idea what these prove, I'm leaning towards nothing, but they are interesting.)

It's light until 8:30PM in Melbourne today and its only the start of summer. What do you want? A polar summer?

I reckon it's all a bunch of hogwash (both sides). Why do people really care if they have an extra hour of sunlight useable? So you can take the kids to the park at 7-8PM?

Maybe tourism? That could be an ecconomic reason possibly